Brewpot > burner top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
I just got my 9gallon brewpot, and its a little too big for the turkey fryer I have.

http://home.neb.rr.com/malkore/images/Beer/2770885241_ORIG.JPG (big photo so I won't display it).

Basically it'll sit at at very minor angle...you can see the back is inside the ring, but the front is not. I slid the grate from my grill's side burner under it to make the angle less steep.

Is it safe to brew? the pot isn't that tall so I can't see it getting top heavy enough to fall over.

I may try anyways, but its looking like I should invest in a higher BTU burner anyways as my next purchase...and something with a nice flat top, not a lip that the pot sits inside.

Go to home depot or lowes and get a couple flat steel bars and lay them across the top of the burner and then put your pot on top of those. It will be much more stable.

thanks, I was thinking about trying to find some rebar or something. didn't think about plain flat bars...cuz i've never really looked for them before.

2 more errands and a porch cleaning, and I'll be brewing my first all-grain batch tomorrow morning!

I've never seem a burner quite like that.
I wouldn't place flat bars across the top of the collar unless they could be secured in some way, and unless you are completely sure that the collar can support the weight of the brew.
Can the collar be removed? It seems there must be something hidden in the collar that is supposed to support the pot.

-a.

1/4" diameter metal rods are what the pot 'should' be sitting on. the burner came with the pot (you can buy these at Sears even...I saw the same one today when I got a second propane tank)

it looks pretty seriously welded so I think it should hold the weight.

but that banjo setup is looking sweeter by the minute...probably my next purchase, and then a grain mill...and then....more bottles n' kegs!

(i've been relaxing w/ some homebrew in preparation for tomorrow's AG day)

final reply: no, this isn't gonna work. the bars seem to let too much heat escape, so I couldn't hit a boil very easily.

I still got the batch made, so not a huge deal...just need to order one of those bigger BTU units with a totally flat base. pretty much know the model I want based on other's feeback.

thanks!

(breaking the 'no beer before noon' rule today...)

Back