dead guy kit from brewcraft anyone done it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharri1

In Rembrance 6/2023
Reaction score
I just brewed a batch this evening and tasted the amount I pulled out of the carboy for my OG test and it seems really close. I did fiddle with the kit and add a 1/2 cup of local honey and an extra 3.3lb can of golden light lme just to see if I could make it closer to double dead guy and got 1.076 OG. Anyone ever tried this kit in general?

Yooper's Dead Guy clone in the recipes section is now one of my standard brews......

That kit was my second ever brew. I loved it. The wife loved it. Two friends did a blind taste test and they both chose the kit beer over the actual beer.

I have also done Yooper's Dead Guy Clone and Tasty's. I have my second try at Tasty's carbing right now. So far it tastes the closest of the seven variance of Dead Guy I have done.

I brewed the Brewcraft DGA kit; it turned out OK. Nothing phenominal like I expected but it was pretty close. What I felt was missing was the malty sweetness.

Yoppers DGA clone is fantastic, very malty, and an overall great taste. I will continue to use her receipe moving forward.

As far as the DDGA clone, I don't think adding a few more ferementables will get you there.

JBD - please post a link to Tasty's DGA recipe.

Thanls for all the replies guys!! Hopefully my additions will give it the sweetness the kit didn't recreate from one of the responses. I will let everyone know how it turns out 6 weeks from now. Im thinking 3 weeks primary 3 weeks bottles any suggestions?

J8D said:
That kit was my second ever brew. I loved it. The wife loved it. Two friends did a blind taste test and they both chose the kit beer over the actual beer.

I have also done Yooper's Dead Guy Clone and Tasty's. I have my second try at Tasty's carbing right now. So far it tastes the closest of the seven variance of Dead Guy I have done.

Did you have any blowoff with the dead guy kit? Yesterday it started to look frisky and I cme home late tonight and the beer was in the airlock and almost blown the top. I made an emergency blow off with a growler and transfer tube. I've never done this. How long do I have to wait until it is safe to put the airlock back on?

We sell a lot of those in the store, and I must say its a killer kit. The kit doesn't come with the yeast and yeast choice is crucial. I have tried it with the WLP001 and it was, so so. I have tried it with the WLP051 and it was a lot better. But the WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast (white labs Packman) was the ticket for sure!..
Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the tips I ended up usng safale us-05 yeast I hope it comes out well

My brother in law just got this kit and I went over today to help him with his first brew. I thought it was complete junk!!! The instructions suck for someone who has never brewed and it did not come with the right stuff. This is why I never ever buy kits and why I will teach him how to brew without a kit. Also This kit seems to change it's hops every year. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY. BREW YOOPERS CLONE. I brew all grain and started with extract and I have never in all my life been as disappointed with a brewing product as I have this hunk of trash they call a "kit". I love Rouge beers but they dropped a level in my book today by putting out such a crappy product.

Back