carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
So i just kegged 20 gallons of beer and used priming suger to carbonate. Well i had a random party last night and we kicked 2 of my kegs. I have some friends coming next weekend that I want to have beer on tap for....so would force carbonating these hurt anything? Would having priming sugar in the beer affect the flavor that bad? Let me know all thoughts and any concerns.

thanks

By just priming, did you do it today/yesterday? I'd expect two things then, that the beer with taste green at the worst, sweet at the best, and that if you force carb, if the keg isn't finished, they'll still be producing co2 that you'd have to vent.

You know those posts where people know their beer tasted good, then they bottled and tested it a week after, either knowing that it's not ready but curious, or they don't know better and they complain about it tasting wierd and horrible? That's what will likely happen, but carbonated if you force carb.

Got any other spare beer?

Seems like 1/3 cup of priming sugar won't sweeten it up too much, and dropping it to fridge temps will sure slow down the yeast. I say go for it. Any extra CO2 produced by the yeast will cause your reg to rise up a bit, but as you pour pints it'll come back down....just keep an eye on the keg for a couple weeks after you force carb. If the reg goes up, pull the relief valve.

Back