How to repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
Have a batch of Graff going on 96 hrs with no activity in the air lock. Turns out there's some bad Nottinham out there which is what I used so I am gonna repitch with a different yeast. How do I do it?. I assume I open the fermenter toss in the yeast and give a stir?

Have you taken a hydro reading yet to confirm the need to repitch or are you simply going by airlock activity? Just because you've heard there's bad notty out there, plenty of folks have had no problems with yeast from the same lot.

I am going by airlock activity silly, using a hydrometer smacks of math and makes my head hurt. I want to see bubbles dammit!

Really tho I didn't take an OG reading. The hydrometer scares me it is too scientifical looking!

I figure I wait till the morning if I got no action I will pop it and look. What does fermentation look like?

So nothing nasty is going? repitch?

Should look something like this:

brewing_24hr_yeast_head.jpg

If it still looks like it did when you put it in the fermentor after 72 hours, then repitch.

yep when you repitch you do the same basic thing as pitching in the first place. Another good thing you can do to avoid these worries later is proofing your yeast. You don't really need a starter with dry yeast but its best to rehydrate it in a couple cups of water. When you boil the water to sterilize it boil it with a couple tablespoons of DME in it. Then let it cool to pitching temps and add the yeast. I usually just do it in a glass 2 cup measuring cup and then put saran over it to prevent contamination. Let it sit for a hour or so and you should see a mini krausen starting to form, a little foam on top. This means the yeast is healthy. I usually do this before is start my brewing. Yeast will be ready to pitch when youre wort is ready. This will help save you from having to worry that your yeast is dead.

Have you taken a hydro reading yet to confirm the need to repitch or are you simply going by airlock activity? Just because you've heard there's bad notty out there, plenty of folks have had no problems with yeast from the same lot.

I don't take issue with your statement, but if your using a carboy without a hydrometer, wouldn't there be other signs of fermentation. I always tell people to look for krausen or particulate on the glass.

Obviously there needs a hydrometer reading, but you can see signs of fermentation without. Just sayin.

If patience is NOT one of your virtues then, without a hydrometer, you just might bottle too soon. I have seen readings drop as much as 5 more points after an extra week after 3 weeks on a big beer. And all the OTHER signs of fermentation were NOT there. (Ok, it did bubble every few minutes. But without a good seal that would not have been happening.)

Get a hydrometer or be patient and hope for the best.

Back