Bottling Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mximus11

Reaction score
I accidentally put a brew in the bottling bucket for fermentation. Will it be okay? I think that I have heard of other people making this mistake but I can not really rememeber. Thank you!:confused:

As long as everything was clean and sanitized, it's not a big deal. It'll just make bottling day a bit of a hassle, but you could pretty easily rack to another vessel, clean and sanitize your bottling bucket (paying EXTRA special attention to the spigot), rack back, then bottle as per usual.

I used to use my bottling bucket as my secondary. No problem, assuming your bottling bucket is big enough(head space) and you don't blow the top off????? Make sure you have a blow off tube on it.

I used my bottling bucket as my primary for years. After fermentation, I would rack to my secondary (carboy) and then the bottling bucket would be free for bottling 2 weeks later. As long as you've got something to use as secondary I see no problem.

There will be a bunch of trub that builds up in the spigot. Just make sure you take it off and clean it really good.

Or, rather than transferring your beer all over the place, just use an empty carboy or other fermenter as a bottling bucket and use an autosiphon and bottling wand combo.

I happen to like using a bottling bucket as a primary. Makes taking hydrometer samples easy and worry-free. Never a problem with keeping things sanitary.

ok so if you use the spigot to get your hydro sample - will there be any consequences from getting it from the bottom. ie. - taking away any trub that could contain yeast, getting trub in the sample - will that give you a bad reading?

ok so if you use the spigot to get your hydro sample - will there be any consequences from getting it from the bottom. ie. - taking away any trub that could contain yeast, getting trub in the sample - will that give you a bad reading?

SG measures the content of dissolved solids (usually sugars) in the wort. Yeast and other stuff are not dissolved, and consequently don't affect SG. That being said, I usually give the stuff a few minutes to settle before take a reading. In my experience, the SG from the spigot has been spot on from a sample taken from the top.

Back