my first real brew tradegy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
not mention my fist AG ! i came down this morning to find my fermenting bucket floating in the swamp cooler, my spigot must be leaking and half the beer is now in the garbage bag floating (that was covering my bucket) in non sterilized water. its a sad day as this was my first AG brew and all had been going well....

That is definitely a sad day....

But on the bright side, it means you have less beer on hand and have to brew again to make up the difference :) So you get another chance to brew and to try out your all-grain setup.:ban:

+1 on good brew.

Infections are pretty hard to get, especially after fermentation. I know I was dry hopping and some hops hit the floor...i didnt want to miss out on the hoppy goodness and just chucked the floor ones in too. Came out fine

Don't use a bucket with a spigot. I know you can but the one I have that I only use for bottleing... leaks too.

I just tell my gf she needs to fill the bottles faster so we lose less.

hahaha

Sorry to hear... but it should turn out ok and like ^ said... brew more.

i managed to save all 5 gallons but it will likely get infected. the swamp cooler water was not sanitized, the garbage bag was new and held all the leaking beer in, but the outside of my fermentation bucket was not clean either...thats the part i am worried about. it had only been fermenting for a few hours (went in the primary 12 hours earlier). i may have aerated it a lot getting it into the glass carboy too !

I know it smarts but worse has happened. At least you didn't drop your carboy when it was full like someone I know.... :( (now that's a tragedy)

get off of here and get brewing
I'm doing and all grain version of my Miami Weisse today (with raspberries) :rockin:

I used a bucket with a spigot for my Fat Tire clone and it was fine for the first 3 weeks, but I had to move it and when I went to bottle the batch I discovered that it had leaked a half gallon :(

I'll never use a bottling bucket for a primary again!

I know it smarts but worse has happened. At least you didn't drop your carboy when it was full like someone I know.... :( (now that's a tragedy)

get off of here and get brewing
I'm doing and all grain version of my Miami Weisse today (with raspberries) :rockin:

I almost dropped my full carboy yesterday...I saw my life flash before my eyes. Whats the lesson? I should have got laid more in highschool!

Back