BIAB Canned Wort...Movie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I save beer from my kettle when I add the chiller in the last 10 min. of boil--it's way easier than the video shows I just steel a pint or two--have a sauce pan with your jar lid & ring in boiling water pull a jar out fill with beer put the lid and ring on don't get crazy tightening the ring!--set the jar aside and wait for it to seal you'll hear it snap when it cools it sucks the lid down and makes the seal-new lids have a little dome in the middle once sealed it will be slightly concave--
I can tomatoes & tomatoe juice using this method and have been doing it this way as long as I can remember--you don't need no pressure cooker to do it.
This is called cold packing.

You do need a pressure canner (not pressure cooker).
What you suggest has a very small possibility of botulism.
I'm not saying it's likely, it's very unlikely, and it's certainly convenient so I can see why you would want to do it.
But what you propose can kill someone or at least send them (and others that drink your beer) to the hospital for a multi-day treatment. That could result in a lawsuit against you as well.

If you use No-Chill brewing, you should use your wort soon, and not keep it stored in your container for months. The risk of Botulism is low, but it's not 0. Use your no-chill wort soon after you make it.

I save beer from my kettle when I add the chiller in the last 10 min. of boil--it's way easier than the video shows I just steel a pint or two--have a sauce pan with your jar lid & ring in boiling water pull a jar out fill with beer put the lid and ring on don't get crazy tightening the ring!--set the jar aside and wait for it to seal you'll hear it snap when it cools it sucks the lid down and makes the seal-new lids have a little dome in the middle once sealed it will be slightly concave--
I can tomatoes & tomatoe juice using this method and have been doing it this way as long as I can remember--you don't need no pressure cooker to do it.
This is called cold packing.

Well looks like a pressure cooker to me if the lid locks on & it has a pressure hole & gauge on it--I'm just saying your jars will seal properly without the use of a pressure cooker that's the way people can veg's simple to do and if done right no worries of anything going bad--same principal would apply to the guys that are saving wort--I use Mason jars because there is always any where from one to a half dozen sittin around the kitchen--you've got a good idea but keep it simple--boil some beer save a quart and put the rest in the fermenter.

Well looks like a pressure cooker to me if the lid locks on & it has a pressure hole & gauge on it

It's not. Pressure cookers often max out at 10-12 psi, which will only get the contents up to around 235 - 240° F. Pressure canners are specifically designed to achieve 250° F at 15 psi, which is necessary to completely eradicate botulism causing spores.

--I'm just saying your jars will seal properly without the use of a pressure cooker

True, the jars will definitely seal, locking in the contaminated wort.

Just because the lid "snaps" down doesn't mean the contents are sterile.

that's the way people can veg's simple to do and if done right no worries of anything going bad

Certain vegetables can be safely canned in a water bath without being under pressure, because their acidic brine is inhospitable to botulism-causing spores. Sugary materials (like beer wort) are a completely different story, and require high temperature (250° F) and time to ensure all contaminants are killed. Since water boils at 212° F, the most practical way to achieve 250° F in a home kitchen is by using a pressure canner.

Boiling the wort kills almost all contaminants. ALMOST all.

The only way to ensure your wort is COMPLETELY sterile is by heating it to 250° F, typically in a pressure canner.

--same principal would apply to the guys that are saving wort

No, because the composition of the liquids are different. One is sweet and one is acidic. They have different pH values.

boil some beer save a quart and put the rest in the fermenter.

That's fine if you're going to freeze it. But if you're going to just store it at room temperature and treat it like a canned good, you are playing with fire, because it has NOT been sterilized. Since you're using canning jars with the "snap" lids, you will not get exploding jars (unless you screw on the locking rings), but it's only a matter of time before the wort becomes contaminated and unusable.

It's not. Pressure cookers often max out at 10-12 psi, which will only get the contents up to around 235 - 240° F. Pressure canners are specifically designed to achieve 250° F at 15 psi, which is necessary to completely eradicate botulism causing spores.

True, the jars will definitely seal, locking in the contaminated wort.

Just because the lid "snaps" down doesn't mean the contents are sterile.

Certain vegetables can be safely canned in a water bath without being under pressure, because their acidic brine is inhospitable to botulism-causing spores. Sugary materials (like beer wort) are a completely different story, and require high temperature (250° F) and time to ensure all contaminants are killed. Since water boils at 212° F, the most practical way to achieve 250° F in a home kitchen is by using a pressure canner.

Boiling the wort kills almost all contaminants. ALMOST all.

The only way to ensure your wort is COMPLETELY sterile is by heating it to 250° F, typically in a pressure canner.

No, because the composition of the liquids are different. One is sweet and one is acidic. They have different pH values.

That's fine if you're going to freeze it. But if you're going to just store it at room temperature and treat it like a canned good, you are playing with fire, because it has NOT been sterilized. Since you're using canning jars with the "snap" lids, you will not get exploding jars (unless you screw on the locking rings), but it's only a matter of time before the wort becomes contaminated and unusable.

I should save this reply, and paste it whenever the water bath v. canning discussion come up (and it does often). Good explanation. :mug:

Its a good video.

One more tip for canning wort - you don't have to make "weak" 1.037 wort. Instead what you can do is use many small jars with higher gravities, that when poured into a flask, that is then topped off to 1 liter will results in 1.037 wort.
This way you can make many smaller jars rather than fewer larger jars.

This both saves space, and lets you prepare a lot of wort jars.

Its a good video.

One more tip for canning wort - you don't have to make "weak" 1.037 wort. Instead what you can do is use many small jars with higher gravities, that when poured into a flask, that is then topped off to 1 liter will results in 1.037 wort.
This way you can make many smaller jars rather than fewer larger jars.

This both saves space, and lets you prepare a lot of wort jars.

The problem with this is that now your wort isn't sterile. When you have it all in one mason jar for the starter you pop the top pour it into the sanitized flask and you are done.

I have been using extract in this process, but I have toyed with the idea of grain to lower the cost...

This was a great video. Is it necessary to boil it after you mash? since it is going to be boiled in the pressure canner, could you just add to the jars after you lift out the bag?

flips

The problem with this is that now your wort isn't sterile. When you have it all in one mason jar for the starter you pop the top pour it into the sanitized flask and you are done.
flips

If you add in boiled and cooled water its pretty close to being sterile.
I have a carboy of water that was boiled and cooled that I use for topping off if necessary.

I also don't think that the bacteria that are going to ruin your beer are a big risk from using tap water. Now if the water was lying out, exposed, gathering dust, that would be more problematic.

I agree that pressure canning is the best way to can starter wort. Is it possible to use the boiling water bath method if you acidify the canned wort down to a pH below 4.4? I think this will work, as botulinum cannot reproduce in a pH below 4.5.

I agree that pressure canning is the best way to can starter wort. Is it possible to use the boiling water bath method if you acidify the canned wort down to a pH below 4.4? I think this will work, as botulinum cannot reproduce in a pH below 4.5.

That could work

BUT ...

How would you acidify the wort? Add Phosphoric acid?
Will you then dilute it when ready to use?
I don't think the yeast will like a pH 4.4 environment, and it will affect the taste of your beer.

The title should have read BIAB PRESSURE canned wort. kombat is 100% correct. Here's a good read on the subject found in "Brew Your Own" magazine...

BOTULISM WARNING
In home food preservation, foods are divided into “high-acid” foods, with a pH below 4.6, and “low-acid” foods, with a pH above 4.6. High-acid foods can be safely canned using the boiling water method. It is recommended that low acid foods be canned in a pressure cooker, where the increased pressure means that water boils at 240 °F (116 °C) or higher. The pH of boiled, unfermented wort is around 5.0–5.2, making it a low-acid liquid.

The reason for the high-acid/low-acid distinction is that spores of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum can survive in low-acid foods, even if they have been heated to 212 °F (100 °C). Clostridium botulinum produces 7 different classes of botulinum toxin, labeled A through G, and all are powerful neurotoxins. Botulinum type A, the most toxic, is 15,000 times more potent than VX nerve gas.

Botulinum toxins stop impulses in the nervous system from triggering muscular contractions. Symptoms of botulism usually arise 24–36 hours after exposure to the toxin and include dry mouth, weakness, double vision, vomiting, depressed breathing and a progressively intensifying paralysis leading to death.

The presence of Clostridium spores in raw honey is why doctors recommend not feeding it to infants or small children.

Although spores of the bacteria are found almost everywhere, cases of botulism are actually relatively rare. Most years, around 110 cases are reported in the US, with most occurring in infants or small children that have eaten honey or other affected foods. On average, less than 30 cases per year result from improper home canning.

In fermented wort (i.e. beer), the alcohol content, low pH (4.0–4.4) and anti-bacterial components in hops prevent C. botulinum from surviving. In preserved, unfermented, lightly-hopped wort, it is possible for the bacteria to grow. Although the bacteria will die if the wort is fermented, any toxins produced by the bacteria will not be neutralized.

To minimize the possibility of botulinum poisoning, can your starter wort using a pressure cooker or add acid — such as phosphoric or lactic acid — to your starter wort such that its pH is 4.6 or below if you are using the boiling water method. (High hopping levels alone are likely not enough.)

The boiling water method is presented here because it has been used successfully for many years, but it does allow for the possibility of botulinum poisoning. Although the probability of this is low, the consequences can be severe if it does occur.

The pressure canner I use is an "All American" 941. It will hold 20 quart jars or 32 pint jars...or a combination of both. In the video I boiled for an hour for a combination of reasons. I needed some time to clean the jars:); I only milled the grains once so the gravity came in at 1.025, so I needed time to boil it down to 1.040 before adding the cold water; & finally to boil off DMS? Don't know if it's necessary for a starter; but figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

ArcLight added a great tip :rockin: As a result I'm thinkin..."Double Down" on the grain bill to condense the wort & pressure can 16 pints in the lower level. Then fill ten or eleven quart size jars with water on the top rack. What's leftover after diluting should be good for washing yeast...right?...:mug:

Dude... I love the video! You have talent..not just in making beer! Cheers!

Sent from my Home Brew!

Back