Can I use half of the yeast from kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

level60

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just purchased a Muntons gold imperial stout kit online. It come with two cans of 1.5kg extract and a pack of dry yeast (5-7g), 5 gallon batch.

My question is can I use half of the yeast that it came with if I brew 2.5 gallon? (one can of extract)

I've read that dry yeast shouldn't be use a starter, but is there way i could "multiply" or "boost" the cell count??

Thanks for the response, I'm planning to do two 2.5 gallon batch, one with 1.5kg extract + oats, and the other just the 1.5kg extract.

Is this a good idea? or should I just do 5 gallon in one batch without messing it?

You might want to hold off on the cereal grains unless you can do a partial mash. Oats need enzymes from some base malt to convert the starch, otherwise you might end up with a hazy brew. If you want to experiment with a couple smaller batches, use some cocoa powder, vanilla or coffee after primary fermentation is over and skip the oats.

Thanks a lot for the tips:),

I was thinking of a simple partial mash - soak about a pound of oat in hot water then boil and mix with extract. This will add body/creamy finish to the beer am I right?

and more about the dry yeast... if yeast can be washed from the fermenter why can't it grow from the starter right before start??:confused:

Cheers

Without getting into too much chemistry, The oats need to be mashed with malt...not just steeped in water. You won't get any conversion from the starch. If you can get your hands on a pound or two of two row malt to steep with the oats, youll be in business.

A good idea if you want to wait a couple weeks between brews, save the yeast generated from the first half batch and use that for the second beer.

Are you planning on doing the 2.5 gallon batches back-to-back?

If you do, use the whole 7g packet in the first batch.

While you're heating up your boil for the second batch, bottle the first batch, leaving the trub sitting in your fermenter (which I'm guessing is a Mr. Beer LBK).

Dump the cooled (like 66-68*F) 2.5 gallons of wort of the second batch atop the yeast cake that's already in the fermenter. Please DO NOT do the Mr. Beer thing of putting ice cold water in the LBK and dumping hot wort on top of it. That won't work for the second batch. Everything you dump on top of the old yeast cake needs to be adjusted to match its temp (+/- 5*F).

Back