Arrogant Double Bastard in 3 L Grolsh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Costco here in Santa Rosa tonight and they have a pretty good supply of Arrogant Double Bastard in a 3 liter bottle. It is corked and sealed shut but has the swing top porcelain top on it. I couldn't believe the price and I don't think I mis read it. $66 What a beauty tho.

So, I get home and I pulled up Stone. The cover picture shows the bottle and when you go to the brews page it shows $26 for the 3 L bottle. I think I'm missing something somewhere.

Don't know what's going on Andrew.. I just checked BevMo online and they are selling the same bottle for $79+CRV. Tried looking for it again on the Stone website.. must be too tired to find it. But, seems I recall 3L was somewheres around $23 or so. Must be in a bomber or something. Maybe it's a special bottle..sheesh.

$26 is what it costs to fill a 3 liter at Stone. A new one typically costs $75-80, so $66 is actually a pretty good price.

Also, the Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and Double Bastard growlers can only be filled with the beer printed on them per CA law, which kind of sucks. I love those 3 liter bottles, although I don't know if I could get through one before it went flat. No one I know likes those beers.

HbgBill said:
Don't know what's going on Andrew.. I just checked BevMo online and they are selling the same bottle for $79+CRV. Tried looking for it again on the Stone website.. must be too tired to find it. But, seems I recall 3L was somewheres around $23 or so. Must be in a bomber or something. Maybe it's a special bottle..sheesh.

Hey Bill, I just say a huge swingtop arrogant bastard at our local nugget market and it was going for $85 must be the same one.

Isn't that something.. Seems one heck of a price for the fancy bottle. That's $40 for the bottle if I could fill that same bottle for 26.

I'm glad I home brew :D

The more I brew the harder time I have spending money on fabulously expensive bottles. I don't like taking risks anymore, I'm not going to buy a pricey bottle unless I know it's world class. I've got 30 gallons of beer bottled, all of it better than most commercial beer. $70 gets me a sack of 2-row and 2 lbs of hops, enough to make 25 gallons of killer beer.

The more I brew the harder time I have spending money on fabulously expensive bottles. I don't like taking risks anymore, I'm not going to buy a pricey bottle unless I know it's world class. I've got 30 gallons of beer bottled, all of it better than most commercial beer. $70 gets me a sack of 2-row and 2 lbs of hops, enough to make 25 gallons of killer beer.

Right on! When I couldn't find a local establishment willing to help me acquire this year's Bourbon County Stout, I came up with a motto:

Screw it. I'll just brew it!

Oh! Speaking of which. Today's the day I need to draw another sample.

Sixty dollar beers! Feh.

It's the same way I feel about vodka. How is a super-premium vodka that can be pushed out the distiller's door the day it's bottled going for the same price as a bourbon that needs 15+ years of age and barrel maintenance and attention?

If you want me to spend more than $5 dollars on a beer, you'd better be aging it, blending it, and putting some unusual amount of capital at risk or be applying some damned fine creativity, or special know-how into it.

I hear ya.. I don't mind spending $4-5 a pint at one of my local breweries once in a while.. I can't brew Pliny and haven't tried Racer at home yet.. So, it's a treat to do this once in a while. BB is right... you can buy a lot of fixin's for the price of that 3L bottle of DAB. I'd love to have the bottle.. but..... :O

I hear ya.. I don't mind spending $4-5 a pint at one of my local breweries once in a while.. I can't brew Pliny and haven't tried Racer at home yet.. So, it's a treat to do this once in a while. BB is right... you can buy a lot of fixin's for the price of that 3L bottle of DAB. I'd love to have the bottle.. but..... :O

Certainly. Buying a beer at an establishment (brewpub or whatever) is a little different. I'll pay the $5, or $8, or $10 they charge for a beer they are promoting as their best craftsmanship.

But if I'm dropping money on a beer, to drink it at home, that is more than I'd pay for a solid beer at a bar, then it had better have some definitive evidence, beyond the brand name, to indicate that it is a special experience. Blending, souring, traditional methods, etc... those all qualify.

A beer COULD be worth $100 a bottle. Just show me where the expense went. A custom yeast strain maintained at the brewery? Special equipment? Long aging times? A fancy label isn't going to cut it with me. I'm not opposed to a hundred dollar beer, but it's on the producer to convince me that it's more than just a marketing gimmick.

Yah, my point was that an occasional brew from the pub is fun.. but, even for DAB.. $26 is enough to make 5 g of good beer that I can enjoy over the long haul... I'm just too old and retired long enough that I want to be a bit better with my hard earned retirement money than to blow $40 on a bottle that I can't refill cuz Stone is too far away.

BTW, I just brewed 5 G of a great tasting (early) Simcoe APA with a brewing partner for Brew Day. Oh, it's going to be nice. Simple grist and single hop. Wow.. still in primary and at FG for a few more days. If I treat it right the rest of the process, it's going to be a wonderful ale. A great balance.. clean. I can't wait.. another month and I'll be happy.. 2/3's keg and rest bottled to share.

shaneogle89 said:
After opened that 3L Double Bastard, how long do you think it takes to go flat?

Depends on how much you drank. More headspace = more flat.

Back