Dehydrate Yeast Cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DalesAles

Reaction score
Crazy idea. I harvested some yeast from my primary and cleaned it up, put it in the fridge. Used it a month later, worked great. I wanna start a yeast library if you will. Wondering if there would be any advantage to dehydrating my harvest v.s storing it in the fridge for shelf life reasons. I'm guessing no, I see a lotta guys on here freeze it and use Glycol. Just a random thought.

I think the dry yeast manufacturers have a fairly specialized system for drying healthy yeast. It may be possible to duplicate their methods more or less, but freezing is very likely a lot easier and they equipment is not hard to get, nor is it expensive.

And the stuff I think you mean is Glycerine, which is found at a pharmacy. Glycol is a coolant. They use it to chill jacketed fermenters, among other things.

I wouldn't think there would be any real advantage to trying to dehydrate it. Have you ever looked into making slants? You gotta do a couple step starters to get them going, but I pulled a slant out of the fridge the other days that was about a year old, and seems to be chugging right along in the starter.

Back