Simple Keezer Collar sizing question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balls_25

Reaction score
I tried using the Search field on this site, but never have much luck with it, so I'm asking for your help. I think I found my freezer for my keezer build. An old GE, somewhere about 5-5.3 cu ft. I set out cardboard circles and I THINK it will hold 3 kegs tight, with one on the hump. Cornies are 23" high right? How tall off the hump does my lid need to be to accompany that 3rd keg? How far up does your coupling and stuff stick up from the top of the keg? I'm thinking a 6" collar will do it, which would put the lid about 25-26" off the hump, but I just want to make sure. Thanks in advance!!

Well, I think that the connectors add about an inch or 2, but the inside of my lid pokes down about an inch or so into the collar area. That's why my collar started out as a 2"x6", and now is a 2"x6" plus a 2"x4"! Works though... :) Might want to do a mock up before puttin' it all together.

Dave

The ball lock connectors stick above the black rubber coated handles about an inch. I would go with a minimum of 27" just to leave room for the hoses coming off the connectors.

Go with a 1x for the collar. The first keezer I built I used 2x6's and the lid was really heavy. My current keezer I used 1x6 and it is soooo much better. Plus a 1x is actually 3/4" thick and I was able to find 1/2" x 3/4" weather stripping so I didn't have to mess with the original lid gasket.

Hi Doed,

I'm not sure I understand how the 2x6's make the lid heavier. Are you attaching the collar permanently to the lid?

Dave

Yes, some people make it so the entire collar opens and closes, not just the lid.
It can save a lot of trouble when lifting kegs in and out over a tall collar.
I have taller collar so I can put a keg on the corner hump and I originally just secured the collar to the freezer and opened the lid for access. But I recently remodeled it so now it's a "dual hinge" design - I can open just the lid on top or the entire collar and lid.
Those taller collars can be a pain after a while - especially when your keezer is smaller and tight on space and you don't have much margin for error squeezing things in and out.

Hi Doed,

I'm not sure I understand how the 2x6's make the lid heavier. Are you attaching the collar permanently to the lid?

Dave

Sort of...I'm not using the freezer lid. I removed it and built a wooden lid with 1x6 sides. I have a 2 tap tower on top of my keezer.

I attached the wooden lid to the freezer hinges. I put the whole thing on a 2x4 platform with wheels so that when I need to get into the keezer, I roll it away from the wall. I have to make sure that it is far enough away that when the lid opens, my tower/tap handles don't hit the wall but it hasn't been a problem so far. My keezer is in the garage so rolling it is a piece of cake on the concrete floor.

Back