Temp prob placement on Brutus Ten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtime

Reaction score
I built a Brutus clone several years ago. Pretty much stayed with the original design. My MLT is a SABCO Mastun with the TC fittings. I had the ports configured so it would fit better on a single tier design. The problem I have with this set up is the thermometer that comes with ithe MT does not go very far into the mashtun so I get faulty reading on my mash temp.

Like Lonnie’s set up, I measure the wort temp coming out of the ball valve. I noticed in the last two brew session the gain temp is 2 degrees higher then my controller set points. I was thinking of buying on a TC 7 inch temperature probe from Brewers Hardware and monitor the mash temp through the Thermometer port of the MT instead of the wort flowing out of the ball valve. Does anyone see a problem with this?

I would still do a recirculation for the full mash.

I have this exact same issue. Heated opinion on either side - maintain the liquid temp or maintain the mash temp. Frankly, I've never seen a well supported answer either way.

I'm leaning this way - shoot for the middle. When mash temp and wort temp vary by more than a few degrees, speed up the recirc and stir to bring the temp back closer to equilibrium, then slow down the recirc and drink a beer.

Note: I don't think that anyone, without a very well insulated mash tun can have these two temps match perfectly throughout the entire mash process.

Back