Low Air Lock Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armen_Tamzarian

Reaction score
I recently have done my first two batches utilizing a starter. Both seemed to take off after a few hours of pitching. After a day or two the first seemed to really stop (OG 1.062). The second did the same thing, lots of bubbling and then nothing really after about two days (OG 1.06).

Being new to using starters, is this pretty standard? My guess would be the yeast had expanded most of the way so there is less visible action in the air lock, although fermentation is probably occuring. Either way, this interested me and I figured everybody would have some useful info! Thanks!

That usually means initial fermentation is over. The airlock will slow down or stop bubbling as it works it's way down to FG. Completely normal. I get that all the time.:mug:

If you have a decent starter, you can get fermentation off quick. If temp is high, you can be done quick (sometimes within 24 hours). If fermenting in a bucket, it could have a leak, and you will not see much activity through the airlock once the main activity is over. Taking a gravity measurement is the only way to really know.

Back