Gelatin use, Secondary with Dry Hops (?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgg_033

Reaction score
Another thread i read suggested using Gelatin in the secondary (rather than at bottling). I didn't want to steal the thread but i have some interesting follow up questions.
First, I would have thought this might pull too much yeast out of suspension in the secondary, and possibly lead to carbonation issues in the bottles. i was guessing that was the reason all the literature i read suggested gelatin be added at bottling.
Secondly, If Gelatin is ok to use in a secondary....is it ok to use while dry-hopping?
I generally don't use gelatin, but i do have a pale ale that I will be dry hopping, and a new mash procedure that led to quite a bit of cloudiness making it into the boil so i MAY add gelatin to this batch.
Thanks in advance!

I would only use the gelatin with the dry hops if you plan on cold crashing it. My thinking along those lines is that any hop particles that don't drop out will also hold some of the gelatin...not that it will cause any off flavors in your beer, but might change the mouthfeel.

I bottled a chinook IPA that I dry hopped w/ 1.5 oz pellets. I put gelatin in 3 days prior to bottling. I crashed at 45F for 1 day, and bottled.

Carbonation... @5 days in the bottle I threw one in the fridge for a day to check the carbonation. Deff. started to carb up, and OMG crystal clear I mean you can see through it.

In short, do it. You will never know how good gelatin works until you try it yourself.

Thanks! In light of your feedback, I think i will avoid the gelatin alltogether, unless it REALLY looks like it needs it. If so i will cold-crash as suggested.

again gelatin does not effect the carbonation. Just follow directions:

1/2 pack knox unflavored gelatin
1 cup water
bloom in water (let the powder sit) for 20 minutes
bring to 170F (no higher!!)
take off stove let sit for 10 minutes
add to secondary (swirl)
cold crash

done

works wonders I will do it to every brew from now on (except heffeweizen)

iswenson: I was typing my reply while you were posting yours, so although my response fell below yours, i hadn't seen it yet. Don't want you to think i completely disregarded your input!....everyone on this board is very helpful and i appreciate all the advise!
I am still going to skip the gelatin this time around. i never dry-hopped so i want to understand the flavor components of that prior to adding another new thing to my process.
Thanks again!

There will still be plenty of yeast after using gelatin.

Tips for using gelatin.

1. Warm the water up past 160 first,take of the heat, put the thermometer in it and wait to till it hits 160 on the way down, then add the gelatin. This limits the risk of getting the temp too high and making jello.

2. Cold crash the beer first, it works much better on cold beer.

you should try it to half of your batch. That way you can directly compare the clarity, carbonation, and flavor effects of using gelatin. I sure would like to know if there is any flavor difference.

It shouldnt change the taste at all, unless it was a wheat beer or where there is some taste to the particles causing the cloudyness, or if you used flavored gelatin.

It would be a good test and a learning experience.

I did gelatin on my last batches, first time using it. One was an IPA with dry hops in it. I dry hopped, then cold crashed three days later, then added gelatin three days later, then kegged three days later. Now a month later it still has plenty of dry hop character to it, and nearly as clear as a Sam Adams. Seemed to work for me. I am about to gelatin my next IPA probably tomorrow.

Back