Nugget Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
Just curious what other folks are using this hop for generally in terms of beer styles, bittering/flavor/aroma/dryhop and what you are typically pairing it with or have found it makes a nice combo with.

Reason: (1) I have a couple ounces of this left from last spring and want to use them before they get too old. I did a fairly run of the mill pale ale with them but I had a conversion problem to to poor crush and was underwhelmed by the beer. Since it was my first time trying nugget, I feel like it didn't get a fair shake and want to give it another try. (2) It might be kinda cool to take a particular hop each week and get board member feedback on what people use it for, in what combinations etc. Kinda of a "Hop of the Week" deal. After all, this group of brewers is a fine resource. :mug:

edit--any commercial examples that use this hop might be cool too.

Jeff

According to the Harpoon Website their IPA uses Nugget

"We use two different varieties of hops in Harpoon IPA: Nugget and Cascade. Nugget is what is referred to as a "bittering hop," and contributes most of the bitter acids. In order for these acids to be soluble in the beer, they must be boiled for at least an hour."

I have a Harpoon IPA clone in the primary right now using Nugget, Cascade and Amarillo.

I use nugget in both my IPA and porter. I've seen them used mostly for bittering.

I use Nugget for bittering and flavor, mainly for darker ales where Columbus might be too astringent. Calapoolia Brewing did a very nice Fresh Hop ale last Fall that was entirely Nugget.

Latest posts

Back