New MLT manifold... Shiny coppery goodness!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
MLTmanifold.jpg

Just need to slot / drill the bottoms and we are in business... Not looking forward to slotting since I only have a Dremel tool (where is the metal band saw when you need one?)... Thinking of drilling holes instead... Any thoughts?

:mug:

Hacksaw blades tend to be a bit slimmer than a dremel.

EDIT: Never mind, I thought you meant the reg cutting blades, not the diamond blade. How is that for cutting copper?

Word of advice, cut the slots at an angle. You'll get more flow.

I have no idea... I used the heavy duty cutoff wheels when I made my "little" MLT manifold... Worked great until about the third slot when the wheel started wearing down smaller and smaller.... Then you have to stop, change wheel, repeat as necessary...

BLEH!!!

You could cut enough slits with a dremel and the metal cut off wheels in like 20 minutes. Those dremel metal cut off disks go through copper like a hot knife through butter.

I guess I could try again... I need to get a mask this time... I was picking copper dust boogers for days last time...

Nice...looks a lot like mine, slightly different...I made the slits with a metal cutoff wheel on my RotoZip. It was a PITA, but worked, I wished they were a tad bit narrower though.

Mashtun_004.JPG

Mashtun_005.JPG

Mashtun_006.JPG

Safety tip: Wear safety classes when making the slits...flying chards of copper ain't too nice on the eyeballs.

BLEH!!!

Screw Dremel wheels... I used one tonight and it was a mess... Copper dust everywhere and it was done after a short piece... Ratchet strapped the vise stand to a support beam, broke out the hacksaw and an hour later I have just three pieces left...

I need another beer....

i've been pickin cpvc boogers...just cut all the slits today with a dremel cut-off wheel. They seem to be pretty thin, guess I'll find out how it works soon.

and denny can you explain how angling the slots would help the flow? I would assume you mean angle all the slots towards the pickup, but it seems the gains would be very minimal.

Haven't heard about that one before

WOOHOO!!!!

Just made a brown porter and overshot my gravity a tad...

After checking a few different calculators, I got almost 80% efficiency with the new MLT...

Granted I was a little high on my mash temps, but I am happy none the less.... Now to get a March pump and a sparge arm, set up my HERMS coil and I my be in business...

:mug:

I have a 70qt cooler that I plan to convert to an MLT, I built the manifold with 3/4" copper and before I just thought I could stick the pipe through the hole and fill it with epoxy/foam but now I don't think that is a good idea.

Most people seem to have some sort of threaded connection, sometimes with washers. What is that? How did you make it (part list/instructions please.)

Here's how I did my 70qt Coleman Xtreme...I used a 3/4" (I think) threaded nipple thru the cooler wall after I removed the stock drain.
Mashtun_007.JPG

Mashtun_002.JPG

Mashtun_003.JPG

I recently changed my complicated manifold to just a straight section of pipe jogged down to the MLT bottom with two 90 degree elbows. I find it works just as well as the bigger manifold did and it's a lot easier to clean. Anyone else have the same experience?

I recently changed my complicated manifold to just a straight section of pipe jogged down to the MLT bottom with two 90 degree elbows. I find it works just as well as the bigger manifold did and it's a lot easier to clean. Anyone else have the same experience?

For batch sparging it should be fine. If you are fly sparging an even draw across the manifold is important. As is the manifold covering as much of the bottom of the MLT as possible.

I use a single pipe. It's scrap PEX that cost me nothing.

P1010434.jpg

It has about four rows of 1/8 inch holes on the bottom. It took about 20 minutes to drill. I get 85% with a double batch sparge with it. I first tried it with only two row of holes but the runoff was too slow.

Back