Bottle washer and sanitizer project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainy77

Reaction score
Ok,
so after long thinking, rethinking and thinking again i decided to build a bottle washer. I just simply hate bottle washing and find it the most annoying part of homebrewing. Here is the outline. I wanted something that would wash around a dozen of bottles at the same time and would also be able to sanitize them with iodophor solution. So the idea was to build some kind of manifold with 12 nozzles place it in some kind of plastic tub and then recirculate water for a couple of minutes folowed by recirculation of the iodophor solution for another couple of minutes. And as always want things to be also economical is should do this with only a small ammount of water and sanitizing solution. So i went to the local hardware store bought some copper pipe, fittings, solder etc, rolled up my sleewes and started:

1. What will you need (for the manifold):
3m (10") of rigid copper pipe - 12mm (1/2") outside diameter max.
3x 90° elbows of matching size
15x T-pieces of matching size
1x pipe to 1/2 MPT fitting of matching size
1x 1/2 FPT hose connector
and appropriate tools
pipes.jpg
fittings1.jpg

2. Cut 12 pieces about 160mm (6-6 1/2" long). These will be the nozzles.
nozzles.jpg

3. Cut following:
12x 70mm (3")
1x 78mm (3" and something) to compensate T
3x 30mm (1 1/4")
3x 38mm (1 1/4" and something) to compensate Ts
1x 50mm (2") from T to pipe/MPT fitting
small_cuts1.jpg

and try to assemble it. It should look like this:
test_assembly.jpg

The little bit longer pieces should compensate the lenght on one edge where a T is used instead of elbow and on the connections of the middle part to the outer line (I hope that you can see it from the attached picture). Well at least our metric Ts are little bit shorter than elbows, maybe in US they are the same.
4. Disassembly it. Now it is time to make the nozzles. I used hammer and slightly hit the end until the desired shape formed formed. Use a scrap piece first to make a test one. They should look something like this. And make sure they in your bottle necks. If they are little bit wider hit the sides of the nozzle little bit and then reform the nozzle.
nozzle2.jpg

5. Now solder it together. The final product should look something like this.
final_assembly.jpg

Now you've got the first part done. I did also a testrun with a small aquarium pupm that i had on hand, but it is gonna need something more powerful to get the desired stream from nozzles. The tub and final working piece is soon to come. I hope it is gonna solve the bottle washing problem.

Vlado

Any pics of this in action, possibly showing the stream quality on the far corner jet? I was thinking about making a multiple bottle washer too...perhaps with a few less nozzles to ensure greater pressure. Thoughts?

If i can make a suggestion. Having the glass bottles in this copper contraption could increase rick of breaks and scratches in the bottles. Depending on how scratched up they get it's always possible for junk to hide in them...

I would suggest making this out of a plastic/pvc deal. You could probably find tips for them that are plastic as well and flat streamed like this.

On a side note, using this concept, (cause I loathe bottle washing to) you could make the lower part a bigger sized tubing and then a reducer in the upward piping to make it smaller, this could increase pressure and maybe even get better cleaning power.

I have tried it on shower outlet and it worked ok. I had to squeze the middle of the nozzles so i got same height spray from all nozzles. Here is the photo:
testrun.jpg

And about the scratches. Yes, there is a chance but by paying a little attention when putting bottles on the nozzles you should be ok. And the nozzles don't touch the bottom. And you can scratch you bottes even when using the brass jet bottle washer that attaches to faulcet. But your idea of covering it with plastic is good, will try that. I just wasn't able to get plastic tubes with such a small diameter. I'm putting together the pump and tub part right now. I'm got wrong fittings today so i am gonna replace them tommorow.

I don't know if they still sell it, but there was a 'rubber dip' on the market for re handling your tools; krylon plastic paint maybe? Either way, I'm not sure how "sanitary" they would be. If you use one size of bottle, you should be ok with have the bottles sit on the feed lines, and leave 1/8-1/2 inch from tip to bottom of the bottle...

More of a hassle, but shallow tub with starsan or a verminator would work (although the vermintor is one at a time... defeating your purpose)... Dishwasher?

Ok, I know that it's been a while but i've been a bit busy. But my bottle washer and sanitizer is done. :ban: I had a little trouble finding the right sized tub. I cut an opening (didn't have proper tools so it looks really nasty :eek:) at one side then glued a little plastic bucket/pot thing there and lifted the opposite side with a plastic basket. Here it is how does it look like:

bottle_washer.jpg

Pump detail (i use cheap ass 2000 lph/ 500 ghp pump for 600l aquariums):
pump_detail.jpg

I've tested it and it takes only about 2-3 liters/quarts (depending on the size of your bottom end reservoir) of liquid to wash/sanitize your bottles. Of course you will have to change the rinsing water. But you will save sanitizer and labor. I suggest first rinsing all the bottles and them sanitize them. This thing won't help you with moldy, sticky and other messy stuff. It is meant to rinse and sanitize. That's why it is important to clean your bottles right after you drink the beer.

That's why it is important to clean your bottles right after you drink the beer.

I totally agree- However, I don't drink 12 beers as quick as you do apparently... I'd add a drain plug so you can pre-wash/sanitize easy without having to tip it over.

wow Brainy!
this is exactly what I've been pondering, to a Tee! well done.
I also considered several variants of rotating sprinklers like oil tankers use
to clean sludge from tanks. They use high pressure steam though.
I am really wondering whether copper is hard enough to scratch glass?
anyway, you get 5 starts from me good job!

What about replacing the copper with pvc tubing and using garden sprinklers for the jets in the bottles?

Should be a lot cheaper than copper and no need to beat the copper into submission. Also no soldering. I would also include a drain plug.

Big up for this idea, its gone straight onto my todo list.

brainy77: "That's why it is important to clean your bottles right after you drink the beer."

This has been the secret to making my bottle cleaning / sanitizing easy. When the beer is poured, the bottle is rinsed. Right then. All that's necessary beyond that is your favorite sanitizing method. I do a duplex version- hit the inside of the bottles with Star San, sprayed with a vinator ("sulfiter") pump, then a trip through the dishwaher. No worries.

In the unlikely event a bottle has slipped by the rinsing proces and is full of mold & gunk.....it's just discarded, since I use all commercial nonreturnables anyhow.

Seems like a lot of effort and expense to go through simply to rinse out some bottles. I just put the bottles in a big plastic tub with a half-gallon of ammonia and some Dawn dishwashing detergent and let soak overnight. Then pull them out, dump the contents and blast them with a faucet mounted Jet Washer. A couple of squirts of Star San using a vinator thingy and onto the bottle tree to drain. Most bottles require nothing more, but occasionally a bottle will have some label glue residue remaining which is easily removed with a scrubbing pad. When recycling my current stock of bottles, there are no labels to deal with and I rinse them well as soon as they are emptied. I have an extensive kegging system, but I still bottle some of my beer. I'm one of the few who actually enjoys the bottling process. I like sharing bottles with friends and it makes it easy to take some to get togethers.

Yes, absolutely rinse the bottles several times right after you empty them and the rest is a breeze.

brainy77: "That's why it is important to clean your bottles right after you drink the beer."

This has been the secret to making my bottle cleaning / sanitizing easy. When the beer is poured, the bottle is rinsed. Right then. All that's necessary beyond that is your favorite sanitizing method. I do a duplex version- hit the inside of the bottles with Star San, sprayed with a vinator ("sulfiter") pump, then a trip through the dishwaher. No worries.

In the unlikely event a bottle has slipped by the rinsing proces and is full of mold & gunk.....it's just discarded, since I use all commercial nonreturnables anyhow.

I just rinse right after the pour, and then leave the bottle filled to the top with water until I collect a dozen or so, then I soak them in some hot oxiclean solution, hit them with a bottle brush, and then allow to dry upside down (dishwasher rack, or on a towel if the dishwasher is occupied) Once dry I foil cap them for storage, and on bottling day I quickly sanitize them before filling.

Foil capping them after they are clean ensures no dust or other crap will get into them so I don't feel the need to rinse them before sanitizing on bottling day.

Cool setup, just seems kind of elaborate when you can just rinse em right away.

ok,
I live in water restricted So Calif so I am liking your pump recirculating idea.
Does anyone know whether doubling the original test pump size to 1000 GPH
would be sufficient?
While the idea of a bottle launcher sounds fun, I am sure someone would lose an eye
and blame homebrew!

If you wanted to protect the bottles from being scratched by the copper you could put some heat shrink tubing on the pipes. Pretty cheap and would work great.

I'm sure if you would be bottling hundreds of bottles at a time, that would save time.. That's not really my case, but it does look very cool.. ;)

And please, get rid of those white and green bottles.. !!

just tested my adaptation of this thing.
used a Danner 950 gpm mag drive and all 1/2 inch tubing.
Did not realize I couldn't pound the end flat like he did since
1/2 inch tubing barely fits the bottles.
I did drill three 1/8" holes in a pipe cap and just slid that one one
tube for the test and it worked well. Not the bottle rattling pressure I imagined
but it looked like it could wash bottles pretty well. Now to buy 11 more
pipe caps from Homer.
Really, I only bottle mead and a rare beer for a good buddy.
this just seemed like a fun gadget.
I also use the pump to recirculate coolant for my immersion cooler
via a res filled with ice thus less waste.
Prost!

looks great,
the one i am working on is set up the same way, but ill be useing PVC and poly pipe just incase i need to use some stronger washing agents,
i dont have to worry about any reactions or fumes that metal
products might give off. keep up the good work.

Each to there own,

and there's more than one way to skin a cat

What about replacing the copper with pvc tubing and using garden sprinklers for the jets in the bottles?

Should be a lot cheaper than copper and no need to beat the copper into submission. Also no soldering. I would also include a drain plug.

Big up for this idea, its gone straight onto my todo list.

I am currently building one too and had a similar thought in regards to the plastic vs copper.

I did look at pex plastic - the tubing is cheaper but the cost of the fittings add up quickly resulting in it being more expensive. (Might be cheaper if you can get bulk/contractor prices?)

I also looked at garden sprinklers - looked promising. didn't actually prices this one out. I didn't go too far down this road as I could not find the fittings I thought I would need.

Ultimately I went with copper. I will be putting on pvc end caps or sleeves to protect the bottle tops.

Back