Single Hop Pale Ale Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
Trying to make a simple pale ale that is slightly on the hoppy side. Also, the LHBS only sells hops in 2 oz packages, so I'd really like to use only 2 oz of one type of hops. Below is what I planned on brewing. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially any advice you can give on hops selection. Thanks!

Golden Triangle Pale Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/3/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Scott Hildebrand
Boil Size: 6.30 gal Asst Brewer: Jackie Lagos
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Safale Ale Yeast (DCL Yeast #US-05) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 31.5 IBU
Est Color: 5.7 SRM

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes.

That's a pretty straightforward brew. Personally, I'd be a little more aggressive with the late hop additions; a half-ounce will give you some flavor, but probably not really on the "hoppy" side. Cascade's a great choice for a classic APA flavor, but if he sells something like Magnum (something with a clean bittering) that you could use for the 60 minute addition; just use enough to get ~25 IBUs, then ramp up the late addition; maybe a half or three-quarters ounce at 10 minutes, similar at two minutes, the rest for dryhopping. The leftover Magnum, seal them up and throw them in the freezer for the nxt batch.

The only thing I would change would be the times of the hop additions. I would add 1 oz for 60, .5 at 15 and .5 at 5. Looks like a beer that I would brew.

The only thing I would change would be the times of the hop additions. I would add 1 oz for 60, .5 at 15 and .5 at 5. Looks like a beer that I would brew.

He's only got 31 IBUs right now, with an OG of 1.052; if you move any of those hops later, the BU/GU ratio's going to drop below the current 0.60. I wouldn't go much lower than that for a pale ale. 31's already on the low end of the style (BJCP calls for 30-45), especially given that the gravity's pretty much right in the middle. I don't think you necessarily need to go much MORE bitter, but I wouldn't go any less.

I'd suggest you spend the extra $5.00 (ish) for another 2 ounces of hops.

Toss in .5 ounces for 10 and 5 minutes and then 1 ounce for dry hopping.

...you said you wanted it on the hoppy side... :D

I'd suggest you spend the extra $5.00 (ish) for another 2 ounces of hops.

Toss in .5 ounces for 10 and 5 minutes and then 1 ounce for dry hopping.

...you said you wanted it on the hoppy side... :D

Agreed - spend the extra cash and get yourself some Centenntial for bittering. Really anything high alpha will work but in my opinion, Centennial/Cascade is the classic APA combo. Throw 1 oz in at 60 minutes, then spread the cascade out:

60 - 1.0 Centennial
10 - .5 Cascade
5 - .5 Cascade
0 - .5 Cascade

.5 dryhop with Cascade

You can save the leftover centenntial for the next brew. I use this hop schedule for Ed Wort's HPA and it is very tasty.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Its not really the price of the hops that I'm trying to avoid (they only charge $3.95 for 2 oz) I guess I just don't like to have extras lying around because everytime I open the fridge I see them and have to count the days to my next brewday. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'll take your advice and pick up some centennial.

That recipie is almost exactly the same as the one I Tapped last week. only I had 1# carapils and used crystal 10.... same hop bill and used Nottingham yeast. it came out very nice

Yep, I concur with "the guys". If not centennial, buy two packages of cascade and use them. I've had some centennial in the freezer for a while (the_bird sent me a ton a while back) and they work great even a few months later.

I'd suggest centennial, too, for bittering, because the AAUs are higher. However, since the cost really isn't the issue, you could buy two packages of cascades and following a hopping schedule like Biermuncher outlined. That would be a great beer- and then dry hop with the leftovers!

Latest posts

Back