Help with secondary question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiebrewer

Reaction score
I have a honey stout that I made 5 gal of and was wanting to try to add some bourbon and oak chips to 2 or 3 gallons of it to see how it tastes. The recipe is stated below. I got 1 oz of american oak chips because chips were all my local store had. Should I add .5 oz or the whole 1 oz to my secondary or is 1oz of chips not enough. I have them soaking in jim beam black right now. Should I dispose of the excess jim beam that is left over in the jar and just add the soaked chips and add the jim beam at bottling or add just add all of it now.

Honey Stout
Stout (Not Really)
Batch Size: 5 Gal Recipe Type: Extract w/ grain

Malts:
6 lbs Light LME
2 lbs Pale Malt

Grain:
4 oz Munich
5 oz Honey Malt
8 oz Black Roasted

Extras:
5 oz Maltodextrin
1.5 lbs Honey added at flameout

Hops:
1 oz Chinnok 12 % AA @ 60 min boil (Bittering)
2 oz Williamette 4.6 % AA @ 5 min boil (Flavor)

Water Treatment / Clarifiers:
1 Whirfloc tablet

Yeast Type & Quantity:
WLP002-- 2 quart starter

#1 not a stout
#2 add the .5oz after a few weeks if it doesnt have enough oak taste then add the other .5 or more and continue to age...dont add the JB. its done fermenting and there is not a strong enough taste to this brew, from what I can see to cover it. depending on the amount of JB that will be added.

Ok thanks I'll just do the .5 oz for now, I know its not really a stout, it is loosely based on a recipe that is called Jason Bretts honey stout.

Check out the oak edition of BYO. Some tips that apply to you are:

A few oak chips go a long way.
Start with a small amount of chips and work your way up to get the desired amount of flavor.
Have another batch of the same beer ready to blend with the oak if the intensity is too much.
In beer, you can add 1/2 oz to 2.5 oz. Full extraction occurs in about two weeks. (Not sure of the batch size that they are referring to though for those amounts)

I don't see why adding the whole ounce would be detrimental. If you're worried - add it in increments and take some samples to make sure its not over oaked.

I know breweries that are oak aging their beer are setting it out in oak barrels. I would guess the surface area that the beer is exposed to in those barrels is a lot more than your beer will be exposed to circulating in and out of that ounce.

thanks for the input guys I ended up splitting the batch, 2 gallons will be bottled with no oak and 3 gallons now have 1 oz of oak in them. I'll check every few days and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back