If I re-lived life I'be a hippy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Individual Person Pursuing Individual Enlightenment

Humboldt Institute for Philosophical and Political Investigation and Enlightenment

I like that one.

Hey people! Is there something wrong with love and peace?

I'm not a smurfing hippy but can understand the whole movement. As far as I know, the hippy's were born in the sixties, or maybe teens in the sixties.

The problem is that there is no such thing as peace without force.
Without a strong military on our side we would have ended up at war with Russia.
Without strength at home the thugs would rule the street.

Peace the way hippies see it only works if everybody on earth wants to play that way, and since man has been around there have always been people that you needed defended against.

We all want a peaceful life, but without brave young people defending that way of life it simply can't happen.

To be a hippie you have to abandon a lot of reality about the world.

You need war in order to have peace. Just like good needs evil to exist. Just like you need bad beer in order to have good beer other wise they all would taste the same.

We all want a peaceful life, but without brave young people defending that way of life it simply can't happen.

To be a hippie you have to abandon a lot of reality about the world.

So why can't the world abandon reality? Pretty sure we already have though. I know what you're saying bro. I'm very happy to have spent a career in the military supporting this country and my son has taken on that task as well. Why the smurf can't we all live as one. Take care of each other. I know you don't have an answer but would like the same if possible. God, if you believe in him, gave us a choice in how to live life. I'm pretty sure most of us eff that up on a regular basis.To bad really. People together can do wonderful things. There is a small line between us that keeps smurfing everything up and it is so basic. WE could all do better in this world if we lived as one. It will never happen.

Oops Edit. That is where hippies came in. In my wacked out opinion.

You need war in order to have peace. Just like good needs evil to exist. Just like you need bad beer in order to have good beer other wise they all would taste the same.

So what you are saying is there has to be a positive and negative, day and night, evil and good. In between we are expected to find a balance?

I agree.

They are extremes. I like to live in the middle if I have a choice. But the extremes are always there. But when it comes to beer I like to live on the edge. Life is to short to drink bad beer.

Just like my extremes now. I'm home visiting my family in Portugal for Christmas. But I have to leave Sunday to go back to a stinking hell hole. These two places are night and day.

You know without conflict and desperate times, there would be very little advancement for my earliest days.
Many many great inventions came about as a result of the need with war or out of your brutality.

Who knows, that could have been a great trade off but nearly all major advancements have some link to war or at the very least extreme hardship and trying to survive.
Medicine alone would be hundreds of years behind without war and torture from days gone by.

Do all of the wonderful things in our world make it worth the price? Who knows where we would be right now if we were a peaceful by nature.
We will never know.

Not just as someone that has to get by in this world, but as a dad I can say that I wish our world was a much safer and more peaceful place right now.

Well,I'm an aging hypster. Now what? where do I go from here? And free love,yeah,I wish...nothin was ever free. Save for some good chit bein passed around. Then the fat or ugly chicks started thinkin they were good lookin after a lot of weed,alkyhol,etc. Then they looked at me,skinny,young,dumb,& full of ***,...

unionrdr said:
Well,I'm an aging hypster. Now what? where do I go from here? And free love,yeah,I wish...nothin was ever free. Save for some good chit bein passed around. Then the fat or ugly chicks started thinkin they were good lookin after a lot of weed,alkyhol,etc. Then they looked at me,skinny,young,dumb,& full of ***,...

Sounds like you had to pay with your dignity ;)

Anti-Gun, anti-military, anti-capitalist communists (that's why dirty smelly hippies live in "Communes").
Dirty and bug-infested. Hate working. Squatters, beggers, bums....
no thanks

Anti-Gun, anti-military, anti-capitalist communists (that's why dirty smelly hippies live in "Communes").
Dirty and bug-infested. Hate working. Squatters, beggers, bums....
no thanks

I'm pretty sure a bunch of hippies went to college and became succesful, contributing individuals. Anti-war does not equal anti-military. My Dad was a big hippy back in the day. I grew up with guns and hunting and he set a great example for me with his strong work ethic. He's a libertarian, not a communist and I don't remember any crazy bug infestations (except for when my sister and I got head lice from day care). I think the group you are referring to are freeloaders. They tend to blend in with whatever crowd they're hanging out with.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. :D

Hippies don't smell, by the way. People who smelled gravitated towards the hippie movement because hippies were more accepting than other people. Unfortunately, people who were leeches on society also gravitated towards the movement, and a few bad apples destroyed the image, making "hippy" synonymous with "dirty", "theiving", and "drugged out".

The hippy movement was reactionary; it was a reaction to the strait-laced culture of the 50's, where you had to conform, supported wars fought solely for the purpose of the government and big business (not for freedom), and lost freedom of expression. The movement was marginalized by the general movement of the entire populace more towards the center. The hippy movement was just as radical as the right-wing extremism it opposed, no more and no less.

Yamamoto Tsunetomo said:
It is said that what is called "the spirit of an age" is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.

early 1700's or so

Hey, hey, we're the monkees
And people say we monkey around,
But we're too busy singing
To put anybody down.

I still stand by my anti hippy stance, but some great music did come out of it.

cartman.jpeg

Hey, hey, we're the monkees
And people say we monkey around,
But we're too busy singing
To put anybody down.

I used to love that show!
I think their goofy antics were inspired by the early Beatles movies.

I have this bumper sticker on my truck. My hair is a little long and I don't want anyone to get confused.

ForumRunner_20130118_110548.jpg

Love that Canned Heat.

This was my song for a long time. I wasn't a hippie really, just a long-haired wanderer. I think hippies had a mission, I didn't. Well, unless trim and bumming smokes was a mission.

I stumbled into a box of my dad's army utilities when I was a teenager. I wore that stuff through the late '70s. Freak flag flying baby. I wore it really long until I got to Parris Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
passedpawn .... Paris Island? Your a Marine!

I used to have a pair of jean bells that my sister ripped open along the seam and sewed in triangle wedges I cut from an american flag.

I showed up at Cape May wearing them and my hair past my belt.... did they have some fun with me.

I was a hippie... and on a mission ....

I recently visited Hippie Hill in Golden Gate Park near Haight/Ashbury in SF on a Sunday afternoon. The place was rocking with a huge drum circle, dozens of people dancing or spinning, juggling or just stumbling around, drunk or high as a kite. Lots of folk just having a great time, it's not something you really see often in the world.

So Jefferson Airplane played at Woodstock in 1969, I was five years old so didn't have a clue. Music transcends generations though. Heck this is 2013 and Woodstock was over four decades ago but the music is still part of our culture. Music must never die... If it did, then Bye Bye Miss American Pie but it hasn't ladies and gentlemen.

Don't know how I missed this tread in the beginning, but no surprise to find Dan at the heart of it! ;)

I would definitely have loved to have been coming of age at that time. I doubt I'd have been a hippie (hate when my hair gets long and beer and wine is the strongest drug for me) but I would have lived at the music festivals back then! To hear some of the great acts in there prime would have been nirvana for me.

"remember what the dormouse said"

I was 13 when Woodstock happened. My bro & his buddy wouldn't let me go with them. And I was big for my age then. They wound up coming home,'cause the New York State throughway was already closed at that point.

Traffic problems in the late 60's? Guess that is a never ending story 4+ decades later.

At least the music survived.. and it will outlive us.

Back