How much apple juice to carb 5 Gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquiditynerd

Reaction score
Hey brothers and sisters from another mother,

Its sunday afternoon, the cider has hit 1.000000000 (ok not exactly) and I am about to bottle. This thing started out at.... crap cant find my notes. Anyway Red Star Montrachet yeast because it was a high OG.

If i want this to carbonate (and I do) how much apple juice should i backsweeten with? I did try to search but the day is running away. There is 25g of sugar per serving (8 servings) and I am thinking 4 servings or a 1/4 gallon of apple juice will give me 100g of sugar.

Any help and you have my gratitude.

Hey brothers and sisters from another mother,

Its sunday afternoon, the cider has hit 1.000000000 (ok not exactly) and I am about to bottle. This thing started out at.... crap cant find my notes. Anyway Red Star Montrachet yeast because it was a high OG.

If i want this to carbonate (and I do) how much apple juice should i backsweeten with? I did try to search but the day is running away. There is 25g of sugar per serving (8 servings) and I am thinking 4 servings or a 1/4 gallon of apple juice will give me 100g of sugar.

Any help and you have my gratitude.

I don't know about sparkling ciders, but for beer, 6g/L will give you a carbonation of 2.3volumes, which is about the average used for beer. According to BJCP, different types of Cider have carbonation from 1.0 to 2.8 volumes. You can use beersmith to calculate it.

Let say you want 2.3 volumes, that makes around 6g/L.
5 gallons = 19L
19L * 6g = 114g of sugar, wich will means 4.56 servings of your juice.

That's my understanding, but as I say, I never experimented with nothing else than beers.

Merci Tiroux.

Je crois la meme. Je pense 120ml est parfait. Peut etre une petite plus.

cheers

Remember that with montrachet yeast, the cider will not be finished at 1.000. It will more likely finish at .990.

If you bottle now, and prime the bottles, the bottles will explode if you don't pasteurize them as soon as they are carbed up.

Ahhhh. Thank you Yooper. Just in the knick of time, do you think there is enough left to carb up?

Ahhhh. Thank you Yooper. Just in the knick of time, do you think there is enough left to carb up?

Maybe. It depends on the OG. Montrachet will reliably go to 12%, and can be pushed to 14%. So it depends on the OG, the health of the yeast, and the probable FG.

It's been more reliable for me to let stuff ferment out and then add priming sugar to get a specific volume of c02 for carbonation.

I'm not well versed in it, but there is a nice sticky thread about bottle pasteurizing cider so you can have it sweet and carbed. Pappers is the expert on that- not me!

I ended up going with two cups (16 fl oz) of apple juice for backsweeter/carbing fuel.

Ve Vill See Vhut Dis Becomes......

Back