The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DisturbdChemist said:
This isnt just ignorance on beer itself just retarded.

image-1162033553.jpg

Not even a taste but...
Me: "I started brewing"
Friend: "Oh really? Can I try some?"
Me: "It won't be ready to drink until after Christmas. Its in that bucket over there"
Friend: "Bucket? I though alcohol came in bottles."

Yeah...

Not stupid comments on my beer, but funny misunderstanding about brewing:

- When they see all the waterdamp from boiling and masing in my shed 'wow .. there goes a lot of alcohol in the ceiling'
- When they come to brew there first beer with me 'so, I can't take the beer home in bottles today?!'

I overheared this one last week: 'how do you make a tripel? Oh .. just ad some more yeast' :p

Sshamash said:
Girl: "Oh my god! You brew beer? Can I try one?"
Me: "Sure, I have a few wits left, you like that?"
Girl "Is that like a Corona or a Guinness? I like Guinness"
Me:"Ummm, Hogarden? But a little lighter and dryer"
Girl:"o, I dont know, I'll try it."
*Give her a beer
Girl:"This tastes like copper, and makes me want to hock a louggie"
*Until this point she was cute
Me:"Wow, never got that one before...I've actually got only good reviews on this one".
Girl:"I'm a Guinness girl".
Me:"Try this brown ale...its more like a Guinness."
Girl:"This one is good. It tastes like steel."
Me:"Why do you taste different types of metal?"

You know, metallic is a common off-flavor picked up from mis-stored malts or high ph levels in your water. I wouldn't say that is a stupid comment, just an observed flavor she is perceiving. She may be picking something out you yourself are not noticing. (Could also be green and hasn't mellowed out yet too.)

Yesterday I was at a meeting for my homebrew club. There was a guy there who was new. He hadn't brewed before but seemed legitimately interested (and WAY too excited) about beer. He had brought a few bottles of Monkey Fist IPA (a very good beer, btw) to share. He was talking about how much he liked the astringency of the beer, and how well they did with making it taste astringent. Ok, fine, he doesn't know what that word means, whatever.

Come to turn out, he works at a local brewery and does tours and tasting. I imagine there are a lot of people now who had a tour from him who think astringency is a good thing.

bknifefight said:
Yesterday I was at a meeting for my homebrew club. There was a guy there who was new. He hadn't brewed before but seemed legitimately interested (and WAY too excited) about beer. He had brought a few bottles of Monkey Fist IPA (a very good beer, btw) to share. He was talking about how much he liked the astringency of the beer, and how well they did with making it taste astringent. Ok, fine, he doesn't know what that word means, whatever.

Come to turn out, he works at a local brewery and does tours and tasting. I imagine there are a lot of people now who had a tour from him who think astringency is a good thing.

The truth is probably more complex.. Astringency is caused by tannins, and hops have plenty of those. There is some level of tannins in beer that is probably desirable. I'm not sure what that number is, but it could be one of those things like bitterness that would need to be gone before you missed it. I think you could probably righty describe a dry IPA as astringent though.

Coors drinker: "I liek ur beer!!"
Me: "No you don't you stupid idiot"
Them: "IT's good!"
Me: "No, it's ****. Piss off."

I don't know why I even bother with these people. I should only hang out with the best people.

The truth is probably more complex.. Astringency is caused by tannins, and hops have plenty of those. There is some level of tannins in beer that is probably desirable. I'm not sure what that number is, but it could be one of those things like bitterness that would need to be gone before you missed it. I think you could probably righty describe a dry IPA as astringent though.

You're picking it apart too much. Trust me, from the rest of what came out of this guy's mouth, he had no idea what he was talking about.

I would never think of astringency as being a good thing in beer. Sounds like something you would say to describe drinking a glass of vinegar. Now I wonder what taste he was really trying to describe.

Met a homebrewer on Monday who said he's been brewing kits for 4ish years now. This guy had NEVER heard of bottle conditioning. The idea really blew his mind. Been drinking it flat he says.

Asked him if he ever wondered why his beers had little to no head, "Oh, when we pour them we just splash them to get foam".

Of course, I let him know about HBT. But he doesn't trust the internet to give him reliable info.

:drunk:

You're picking it apart too much. Trust me, from the rest of what came out of this guy's mouth, he had no idea what he was talking about.

Maybe he is "that guy" at work and the head brewmaster and others like to mess with him and tell him stuff like astringency is the ultimate achievement in beer. That or the brewery he works out brews with facial cremes or something.

Met a homebrewer on Monday who said he's been brewing kits for 4ish years now. This guy had NEVER heard of bottle conditioning. The idea really blew his mind. Been drinking it flat he says.

Asked him if he ever wondered why his beers had little to no head, "Oh, when we pour them we just splash them to get foam".

Of course, I let him know about HBT. But he doesn't trust the internet to give him reliable info.

oh my god. is this actually true?

LeBreton said:

Say it ain't so...

Never brewed from a kit, but don't the kits come with bottle carbing instructions?

All the ones I ever bought had extremely good directions and yes how to bottle was on there. In the case of Midwest brewing they include a pack of priming sugar with the kits.

This is laugh out loud funny.

The best/stupidest was a awesome comment but it had consequences. My friend is a beer drinker and it was a young IPA he was drinking. He turned to his wife and I quote "This taste better than the stuff your dad makes". Hope he likes the couch. :cross:

As someone who has made stupid beer comments, there may be wisdom in what's said.

If someone tastes your porter and says it tastes like a Blue Moon... they may be an idiot... but they may be picking up corriander notes from the roasted grains.

I remember commenting on a beer that it tasted a lot like the Mexican beers I had drank. I don't remember what it was, only that it was a German style lager. The brewer (who is now a good friend and my brewing mentor) could have written me off as an idiot, but instead told me that most Mexican beers are lagers and many of the breweries were started by German imigrants.

His beer probably tasted nothign like the Tecates and Coronas I'd drank. But he was able to hear what I said, and translate it to "brewer language".

As someone who has made stupid beer comments, there may be wisdom in what's said.

If someone tastes your porter and says it tastes like a Blue Moon... they may be an idiot... but they may be picking up corriander notes from the roasted grains.

I remember commenting on a beer that it tasted a lot like the Mexican beers I had drank. I don't remember what it was, only that it was a German style lager. The brewer (who is now a good friend and my brewing mentor) could have written me off as an idiot, but instead told me that most Mexican beers are lagers and many of the breweries were started by German imigrants.

His beer probably tasted nothign like the Tecates and Coronas I'd drank. But he was able to hear what I said, and translate it to "brewer language".

I guess what he heard was you say "this taste like a lager, most "good" lagers I have had come from Mexico"
And, as you say, he then taught you a bit of beer history without being a dick about it. Cheers to your mate :mug:

Still sticks in my head to this day

Father-in-law, drinking my Witbier - "This is pretty good. Can you make something like Miller Light?"

Still makes me shiver...

Still sticks in my head to this day

Father-in-law, drinking my Witbier - "This is pretty good. Can you make something like Miller Light?"

Still makes me shiver...

+1 One of my friends tasted a home brew of mine, pulled a face, and asked if I could "make one like bud light?" ...insert the sound of crickets chirping here!

Just want to pipe in that I, also, can laugh at these--let's face it--pitiful people who don't know beer for a sunbeam. I pat myself on the back every so often about it. And I brag about it to like-minded folks.

DisturbdChemist said:
I have one I just remembered. This is before I started brewing and in college. Me and a few friends were at a bar and grill drinking a few pints before off to the next class. During, one of the guys looks at his glass and says "How can the glass let in air but not let the liquid out?". :drunk: I was dumbfounded because he was talking about the carbonation:confused:. I had to explain to him that it was the carbon dioxide in the beer coming out of solution. This isnt just ignorance on beer itself just retarded.

That reminds me of a question I saw on the internet the other day... "is TSP (trisodium phosphate) vegan?"

I work with 30-40 guys, none of whom brew but they are all beer drinkers and always asking for homebrew. One day I brought in a Hefe that I was pretty proud of and the next day one of them says "man I didnt like that at all do you put hops in your hefe?" I have never gave them a drop more since.

Schmutzli said:
That reminds me of a question I saw on the internet the other day... "is TSP (trisodium phosphate) vegan?"

I mean, do YOU know where TSP comes from? Maybe they get the Sodium by boiling down small kittens. I doubt it...but you never know. JK

I work with 30-40 guys, none of whom brew but they are all beer drinkers and always asking for homebrew. One day I brought in a Hefe that I was pretty proud of and the next day one of them says "man I didnt like that at all do you put hops in your hefe?" I have never gave them a drop more since.

Only 29-39 more and the homebrew is ALL YOURS!!!!

The Jehovas stopped by on Saturday as I was cleaning out the mash tun. "is that rice?" nope, it's spent grain from making beer. "you make beer?!!" yup. "does it taste like actual beer?" better!

I was wondering why they cared - can't they not drink any booze or coffee? Or is that mormons? I dunno...

We then had a long healthy talk about judgement day and what will become of my heathen arse. Actually never did get a straight answer, but they were a pretty friendly couple o' gals. A lady and her daughter. They're coming back to talk another day. I'm going to bang the daughter.

You sound like a wiener... I mean winner. Crap why can't I get this typing thing down!!

Back