American IPA Bee Cave Brewery IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if that wort I just put in the carboy is anything to go by, this is going to be nice! Just threw this together at the last minute, but had to sub Zeus for warrior. Everything went ok, though I had a hell of a time maintaining my mash temp. Had to add a quart at 30m to bring it up (somehow it dipped below 150 in a preheated cooler tun, in a heated basement).

Thanks again for the recipe Ed, I love your work (I am currently enjoying your robust porter.

I just tapped another keg of this and once again I am shocked at how good it is. We were out the other night drinking several different commercial IPA's including $9 pints of racer 5 cask and I still think my (Edwort's) IPA is better. We also have a keg of the Rye IPA on tap and it's also fantastic. The other night we opened a few bottle's of robust porter that I added some honey brandy to (a nice twist to the bourbon barrel porter) and they were incredible. Every recipe of your's that I have made is great. I always have your pale ale and IPA on tap and then throw in the Rye every couple batches. I haven't had one person yet that didn't love the pale ale and IPA.

Not really. These days I ferment 10 days to two weeks. Dry hop another 10 days, then on gas for 1 week to carb and it keeps getting better till about 8 weeks.

Yep, it's about 8 weeks before I drink a batch of a beer these days and the patience is worth it.

You could rush things into 4 weeks, but you would have green beer IMHO.

Does this mean that you don't put any CO2 pressure in your keg during the 10 day dry hop? What about the airspace above the beer in the keg? Does that create an oxidation issue? Sorry if I'm asking an already answered question, but this thread has a little mileage on it.

I'm brewing this recipe saturday morning. Although I can't find warrior. Luckily I have a pound of nugget in the freezer which I'm subbing in. Also I'm using WLP001 instead of 05. The 1200ml starter is happily spinning on my stir plate!!! Oh and I'm also adding 1/2 ounce of centennial at flame out. I'll keep you updated.

Well I undershot my gravity by 7 points!!!! I really messed up my measurements. Oh well I'll just have a session IPA. My OG was 1.057.

I was going to brew this or dogfish head 60min. I went to the store with both recipe and after much thought I decided to do DFH 60min. After getting the grains and hops something didn't seem right so I looked at the recipe again and realized I grabbed this recipe not the DFH. But I'm sure it will be just as good if not better. Thanks for the recipe.

I brewed this 01-02-12 and its been going nuts in the fermenting chamber. Cant wait to get this in the keg. I WANT IT NOW!!! I hope its good.

Mine's been in primary for 2 weeks now. Fermentation is done @ 1.014. I usually let it sit 3 weeks in primary. Should I crash in primary then keg? Or crash in secondary and keg? I can't wait to dry hop this thing!!!!

I just brewed this today. I had a little bit less in the carboy after all said and done so I added a half gallon of water and hit my OG at 1.062 (as beercalculus said). I lowered the bittering hops just a tad and this thing is looking good to go!

Can't wait, thanks for the recipe, Edwort!

I'm excited to try this recipe. I bought the grains and hops for it today and am going to brew it this coming weekend assuming I can get my Keggle ready and get a burner in time.

I'm really excited to try my first AG brew and also am excited to try this awesome recipe. I bought Amarillo instead of Warrior. I'm doing BIAB. Seems like the way to go for me. For now anyways.

I'll update the thread with any details. Thanks for the recipe!

Ok, so I've got this on tap and it is awesome! I've picked up the specialty grains I need to make this again, but was thinking of using citra for the dry-hop addition. Thoughts? Anyone tried that?

I haven't tried that but, I have used Amarillos and it was amazing. It's all a matter of opinion and IMO, Amarillo>Citra.

I brewed this per the recipe and it didn't come out bitter whatsoever. It's actually slightly sweet, but not too bad. All I can guess is that either my LHBS hops are mis-labeled, or I got really bad hops utilization somehow. Any ideas?

Best beer I have brewed so far. I actually used the recipe from the Stone Clone thread, but they are pretty much the same thing.

Awesome grapefruit/citrus aroma and flavor from the centennial, and plenty of maltiness for a great balance.

Thanks for the recipe.

I was supposed to brew this this past weekend but the honey-do list got in the way. Oh well. Next weekend. Unless I can get this done in the evening some day this week but that's not too promising.

Oh well.

I'm going to brew this on Sunday, but I'm probably going to dryhop with amarillo, and possibly try out some Denny's 50 rather than 1056. I did it to spec last time (and it was awesome) but I think it may be experimental time!

I want this to be my next brew. Unfortunately, I'm still afraid to make the leap to AG, and do extracts. I know this thread has been beat to death with us newbs trying to brew extract of this.. but I wanna make sure I'm doing it "right" (if you can call extract brews right).. Anyways..

steep 1# Munich and 12 oz Crystal 60L
Instead of the 11# pale, use 6.6# Light DME
Hop/boil as usual.

I have the capacity to do a full boil on the turkey fryer, so if i make these adjustments noted above i should be good to go?

steber said:
I want this to be my next brew. Unfortunately, I'm still afraid to make the leap to AG, and do extracts. I know this thread has been beat to death with us newbs trying to brew extract of this.. but I wanna make sure I'm doing it "right" (if you can call extract brews right).. Anyways..

Hop/boil as usual.

I have the capacity to do a full boil on the turkey fryer, so if i make these adjustments noted above i should be good to go?

This is a very easy all grain. I was once scared to do AG but a guy at work made me do it and now I would never go back. It was a super easy transition. And it taste way better. People actually want my home brew lol. So JUST DO IT!!!

And thanks again for the recipe. This beer is AMAZING! Will be making again now that I have a 10gallon ball lock I need to fill.

This looks too good, another Edwort winner! I'm brewing this next week, I think my LHBS just got some hops in, Amarillo all the way!

Brewed this yesterday. I also subbed in the Amarillo.

Had a few hiccups but in the end, I got about 5.75-6 gallons. I was worried I had too much but then after seeing how much cold break I had, I hope to end up with 5 gallons in the end.

Hop/boil as usual.

I was looking at the same thing myself. But I've found out that Munich is not suitable to be steeped, it needs to be mashed. So I think it calls for a partial mash. I think that's how I'll do it. If anyone knows a steeping grain that will give us similar characteristics to munich, let us know.

I was looking at the same thing myself. But I've found out that Munich is not suitable to be steeped, it needs to be mashed. So I think it calls for a partial mash. I think that's how I'll do it. If anyone knows a steeping grain that will give us similar characteristics to munich, let us know.

Mashing and steeping are essentially the same thing. If you're extracting w/grain: 1)put the grain in a bag with cold water 2) heat to 150-155F 3) hold for at this temp for 30 mins or 60 mins in you can wait that long.

I bring it up to temp on the stove, put the lid on and cover with a beach towel doubled over. This holds temp for quite some time. I do this in a smaller pot inside at the stove. I use this time to bring the rest of my water up to a boil outside and just get everything else ready.

Mashing and steeping are essentially the same thing. If you're extracting w/grain: 1)put the grain in a bag with cold water 2) heat to 150-155F 3) hold for at this temp for 30 mins or 60 mins in you can wait that long.

I bring it up to temp on the stove, put the lid on and cover with a beach towel doubled over. This holds temp for quite some time. I do this in a smaller pot inside at the stove. I use this time to bring the rest of my water up to a boil outside and just get everything else ready.
Yes, I've done 2 partial mashes already. I think a base malt would also be required unless the Munich is considered a base malt, so I would probably throw in a kilo of pale malt into the mash.

Brewed this on 1-30....into keg on 2-19. Pulled a pint tonight and it was great. I usually brew ten gallon batches and pulled a 83% efficiency on this five gallon. I had to sub nugget for the warrior. Thanx ED.....U never disapoint.

I am loving this IPA EdWort, absolutely fantastic. The centennial really has a huge orange taste which makes it very palatable.

I used the same ratio of malts. I did cut back the bittering hop addition just a tad just to experiment. I ended up going for 62 IBU's, and my starting gravity was 1.062 making my GU:BU ratio 1, and I really am enjoying the level of balance, however it still has a slight lingering bitterness which is what I was going for. I'm starting to find myself not as much of a hop head as I was before.

bee cave ipa.jpg

I just stumbled upon this thread. The grain bill is very close to what I use for my house IPA, only difference is I use 2lb of munich and a full lb of the crystal 60. My hop schedule is very similar but I use Magnum for the 60 min and Citra for late additions. Then I dry hop with 1oz each of Citra and Simcoe. I'll have to try it with the centennial and warrior combo, sounds good. The malt profile is a perfect base for any IPA.

I just brewed this on Sunday, and I dry hopped right away in the primary. My thought was to then transfer it to secondary after 10 days without additional dry hopping. I just now read post #130 of this thread where EdWort mentions he ferments for 10 days to 2 weeks, THEN dry hops.

Any suggestions for fixing this? Should I just continue as I planned?

I just brewed this on Sunday, and I dry hopped right away in the primary. My thought was to then transfer it to secondary after 10 days without additional dry hopping. I just now read post #130 of this thread where EdWort mentions he ferments for 10 days to 2 weeks, THEN dry hops.

Any suggestions for fixing this? Should I just continue as I planned?

Dry hopping only imparts aroma, and while the young beer is in primary fermentation, it is pushing a lot of CO2 out of your fermenter...and your hop aroma will be pushed out along with it.

You will probably get some aroma with your method, but in order to get the full effect you will need to dry hop again when primary fermentation is done. Or you can wait until you make a second batch (you most certainly will want to) and dry hop the right way to compare.

Cheers and good luck.

Ed, I saw you noted you dry home with those stainless herb balls in the keg. Have you ever had an issue with those mesh balls not concealing the hops particles and it clogging your diptube?

brewed this one up on 3/25, bottled 4/15, cracked one open tonight and....look out...mighty tasty brew. love the color, and the centennial hops shine (my favorite variety...love the bell's two hearted ale). nice work edwort.
happypanties...i've recently been dryhopping in the primary also (but only after 7 to 10 days of fermentation), THEN racking to the secondary. was just trying to avoid the mess of a bunch of hop trub in the bottling bucket. i haven't noticed much difference, but i'm pretty new at this so my opinion probably isn't worth squat....

Even with dry-hopping in the primary, it turned out really good for me! It tasted more like a pale ale, not quite an IPA, but it was damn good!

I'm brewing another batch tomorrow, and I'll try dry hopping in the secondary for comparison.

i brewed this around two months ago and was wondering if the bitterness subsides with time? it smells great but you can't taste much of the hops i am assuming the bitterness might be masking it. or if not which hop addition to up to increase flavor. ( i followed the recipe as is except i used dark munich cuz i didn't know any better)any thoughts?

Hey there,

I was at the brew store the other day and I picked up Chinook hops thinking they were Centenniel. Do you think it would be fine if I dry hopped with the Chinook instead?

Brewed this except all Warrior on Saturday as my first All Grain batch. Very excited to see how it turns out. Going to leave it in the primary for 7, then rack to secondary for 2 weeks on another oz of Warrior. Thanks for the recipe. I changed the hops to all Warrior due to a lack of Centennial at my shop. I'm anxious to see how this one turns out.

Kegged 5 gal of this one and it finished carbing Tuesday. Outstanding beer, so good it's finally making me face my kegerator line balance issues. Got more beer line and will be experimenting and splicing this weekend.

-Rich

Latest posts

Back