Can you rack too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AriAilin

Reaction score
I've made a couple ciders in the last few years, using white and brown sugar (never at the same time,) and they've all come out tasting a bit yeasty, none of them are bad, they just have a funky undertone. It completely goes away when I jack them.

Did I let them sit on the lees too long? I didn't document well in the beginning and I believe the first sat for 6+ months before I racked it the first time.

I've tried filtering it in case there were bits that never settled, cold crashing it and nothing helped except, as I said, jacking it.

Just to make sure we undersand each other I am referring to freezer distillation where I freeze it and let the alcohol melt out, throwing out the ice left behind that's clear as water and repeat until satisfied.

I just mixed a new batch yesterday. Primary fermentation is running along fine, with the airlock bubbling with a sound like a leaky faucet. But now I'm a bit neurotic about that yeasty taste and was wondering if there would be any harm in rackin it periodically so that there would be as little contact with that gunk at the bottom as possible. Or is there a less crazy / wasteful way to do it?

I think that freeze concentration would "concentrate" any flavors, so you want to have a great tasting cider before you start.

If you left the cider on the lees for 6 months, that could be why you have some off flavors. Next time, rack whenever you have lees 1/4" thick, or any lees after 60 days. That should help a lot.

Nottingham Ale yeast, it was the only thing I have that's not bread dough yeast.

So it's not insane to rack every time the lees build up and or every couple months just to be safe? That's a relief. I was worried I was being unnecessarily neurotic.

Back