Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutFan

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
n/a
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
n/a
Original Gravity
n/a
Final Gravity
n/a
Boiling Time (Minutes)
n/a
IBU
n/a
Color
n/a
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
n/a
Coffee Stout
Dry Stout

Type: Extract
Date: 2/1/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Mitch Lytle
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 20.00 %
6 lbs 8.0 oz Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 65.00 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.9 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
8.00 oz Coffee (Boil 10.0 min)
5.00 gal Dublin, Ireland Water
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.44 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.47 %
Bitterness: 42.9 IBU
Calories: 229 cal/pint
Est Color: 26.1 SRM

Carbonation Type: Dried Malt Extract Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Pressure/Weight: 6.0 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 65.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Steep grains at 152° for 30 min. Coffee is very coarse grind. Add coffee at 10. min left. Salts used with RO water to mimic Dublin. This is the latest attempt thrown through BeerSmith.

Created with BeerSmith

Okay... so I brewed this one using Poland Spring water and added chocolate, but other than that i followed this recipe exactly... I fermented for almost 4 weeks. Its only been in the bottle a week but that is when I always have my first taste. As a new brewer I like to understand how these things develop with time. So far it tastes like carbonated coffee... I would definitely recommend scaling the coffee back by half if not two thirds. Oddly I am not discouraged and want to try brewing something like this again. I will update in a month when i have my next taste.

I did a coffee stout at the end of last year and used 8 oz of coffee. WAY too much. I would cut it back by half next time. IMO I would boil the coffee either. I put mine in the grinder and threw them in a secondary for a day, then bottled.

Interesting. Papazian said to boil as well so I did the last 10 minutes. The process needs some work though. I would try using some in the secondary but wouldn't I need to boil to sanitize? The coffee would probably taste fresh that way, and contribute to the aroma so if its safe I would consider it.

Interesting. Papazian said to boil as well so I did the last 10 minutes. The process needs some work though. I would try using some in the secondary but wouldn't I need to boil to sanitize? The coffee would probably taste fresh that way, and contribute to the aroma so if its safe I would consider it.

Papazian also said to use 8 oz. :mad:

You could soak them in vodka and add the whole thing or strain the vodka off. I didn't sanitize them. I just ground them up and threw em in. It's just now starting to become drinkable.

Everyone's taste for coffee in their brew is different. This one I like quite well, that's me though. If 8 oz. was to much, go with 6 or 4, boil them, or secondary the whole thing. Carbonated coffee also sounds delicious...... :D

I do think this will be good in a while. I think vodka and the secondary are the key. Maybe 4 ounces. I drank a DFH india brown ale tonight that was delicious. Does anyone know how they accomplished that amazing coffee flavor?

I do think this will be good in a while. I think vodka and the secondary are the key. Maybe 4 ounces. I drank a DFH india brown ale tonight that was delicious. Does anyone know how they accomplished that amazing coffee flavor?

I also thought it was strange to taste that much coffee in their IBA. I had one that was a year old, it was smooth and the coffee was right up front.

I've used 8 oz in the secondary, and the brew just tasted like coffee. Which I don't really like. Since its cold brewed its smooth coffee and coffee drinkers seem to this it is delicious. For just a coffee hint I definitely recommend scaling back.

ok, I want to add cold brewed coffee in my second fermentation.

Do you do the priming stage the same as usual or does it change because you are already adding water with the coffee?

Sounds great I think I'm going to add a lil rum or whiskey with the coffee in the secondary. About 4 oz coffee 6oz whiskey/rum with a villain bean.

Back