Fermentation quit to soon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdog157h

Reaction score
I made my first batch Friday night. Sometime in the middle of the night/Saturday morning it began fermenting. It was getting a bubble about every 10 seconds in the airlock. I checked it this morning and nothing was happening! I checked again around 6 am and still no bubbles! What happened? I have the bucket in an unused bathtub and the stick on thermometer said 74 degrees. It got cold last night and I didnt run the heat in the house but I cant imagine it got below 70 degrees inside. It fermented for less than 24 hrs! Any ideas?

Most of the fermentation could be done. I wouldn't do anything to it for 2 weeks. Then check your gravity. Still work to be done by the yeast that you won't really see.

at a temperature as high at 74° it likely had a fast fermentation and could easily be done. That and don't use bubbles as an indicator of fermentation. Take a hydro reading, what's it at? Bubbles only mean there is an excess of CO2 that has nowhere else to escape from.

i just had an ESB ferment and drop the krausen in less than 24 hours, but yeah what he said - just let it sit for at least 2 weeks, then take readings for a few consecutive days to see if it is stable.

You'll learn fast.........airlock activity doesnt denote not fermenting. Got a new "airlock" aparatus. Seen here. that doesnt show any activity. But the fermentation dropped a 1.065 beer to 1.012 in 4 days.......and never made a sound......

gravity is the only REAL way to tell.......

I just started my first-ever batch this weekend...and had been stressing until I read this thread...this morning I woke up to a bubbling airlock on day 3!!! I think i've gone bak to look at it bubble 3 times now

Back