DFH India Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good clone or close to of this recipe? I have one left of a sixer I bought the other day, and love it.
I did search, and came up with one clone, but the bottle says liberty and goldings hops, and the recipe doesn't use either.
I saw that a clone recipe was published in BYO but no sure when.
Thanks,
Dave

This is one I found. Havent used it, but it comes from 365
Grain Bill

12 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
3/4 lb. - Amber Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
2 oz. - Roasted Barley (a little goes a long way)
1/2 lb. - Dark Brown Sugar (added with 10min left in boil)
Hop Schedule - 52 IBU

1 oz. - Warrior - 60 min.
1 oz. - Vanguard - 20 min.
1 oz. - Vanguard - at Flameout
Yeast

Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale Yeast - 1800 ml. starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash In at 154° for 60 min - sparge as usual
Boil time : 60 min.
With 10 minutes left, add in the Brown Sugar
Cool and ferment at 71° to 74°

There's an extract recipe for it in Extreme Brewing, by the head brewer at DFH....i'll look it up in a bit if I can find the book.

The Extreme Brewing version is pretty much an extract version of the above:

10oz Amber Malt
10oz 60ºL
8oz Light Chocolate
2oz Roasted Barley
7# Light DME

.5oz Warrior @ 60
8oz Brown Sugar @ 10
1oz Vanguard @ flame out.

Ringwood Yeast @ 68º-71º

Here it is, from Bryan Selder's of DFH. It's an extract recipe, so you have to convert if you're doing AG.

7 lbs light DME
10 oz British Amber malt
10 oz 60L crystal
8 oz light chocolate malt
2 oz roasted barley

1/2 oz Warrior (60 min)

8 oz dark brown sugar (last 10 min of boil)

1 oz Vanguard at end of boil

Targets: 1.070 OG, 1.015 FG; 50 IBU

Ringwood Ale yeast Wyeast 1187 (which I think is the same as British Ale, if you're using White Labs)

This recipe is for a full volume boil (6 gallons to start). I've never made it myself, but I don't see how the 1/2 oz of Warrior is going to gain you 50 IBU. But that's how it's written in Extreme Brewing.

edit: beat to the punch!

Thanks for all of the replies! These are the recipes that I found. I was surprised that none of the recipes included Liberty Hops or Goldings Hops. Or Dry hoping. On DFH's website, it says that the India Brown Ale is has a hop schedule close to their 60 min ipa. Wouldn't you think that would include some dry hoping?
I have only been doing this for a year, but from what I know the 60 min warrior will give good bitterness. I never used Vangaurd, but I am assuming the 20 min will give aroma and the flameout flavor. Has anyone tried this recipe? Would dry hoping make it better?
Thanks!
Dave

Edit: I just read the bottle again. It says "whole leaf liberty and goldings."

I tried the recipes that have been posted. It came out pretty close. I too was worried that Warrior would make this too bitter, but hell, it's a India Brown ale! :D

I'd make it again......

while that is the recipe posted in extreme brewing by sam, it should be noted that the bottle of the beer says that they use liberty and goldings hops.

This recipe is for a full volume boil (6 gallons to start). I've never made it myself, but I don't see how the 1/2 oz of Warrior is going to gain you 50 IBU. But that's how it's written in Extreme Brewing.

edit: beat to the punch!

I brewed this one recently, following the recipe in the book. I was doubting the ability to get to 50 IBU with the low amount of hops also and since the hops are sold by the ounce, I added the full ounce of Warrior. I am still not sold that I got 50 out of it. The beer is decent/good, but not anything outstanding, and I am a huge DFH fan.

Make sure you add enough hops for 50 IBU. I followed the original recipe and only used 0.5 oz warrier. It was great at first, but as it aged, the bitterness decreased and actually tasted dull after a few months. For my next batch, I'd add at least 1 oz warrier for bittering.

Back