Air-rational!! Aeration Stones??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used one, but others have. I wouldn't see a problem with it, as long as the stone and the air hose have been properly sanitized. Go for it!

People have done it without any problem. I just don't see how you can clean something like that effectively.

I've just recently purchased a stainless unit but prior to that it was an aquarium stone. Before I would throw it into the wort I would make sure to have it hooked up so wort wouldn't flow back into the line. After I was done I'd flush it out with cleaner, water and then blow it out with compressed air. I didn't use it much but it didn't take long for this process to degarde the stone and have it fall apart.

For the most part aquarium stones are not very durable with alot of handling. You might get bits of the stone crumbling off in your wort.

Yeah, I'd be weary about using an aquarium air stone, especially when you can find stainless ones for pretty cheap. If you're using an aquarium air pump, you may also want to look into getting an in-line filter to ensure that the air you are pumping into the wort isn't contaminated.

Yeah, I'd be weary about using an aquarium air stone, especially when you can find stainless ones for pretty cheap. If you're using an aquarium air pump, you may also want to look into getting an in-line filter to ensure that the air you are pumping into the wort isn't contaminated.
Contaminated?
What kind of filter?
With the diaphragm in most aquarium pump, it would be hard to put a filter on it without severely reducing, if not stopping airflow. Unless of course it is a luft pump. And if you can afford one just for brewing, you can afford to get a few SS stones.

i've use pet store air stones with no ill effects. but a word of warning. depending on what kind you get they can be fragile and fall apart leaving little grains in your fermenter or shatter easy. just make sure they are unused before you use them. don't want fish germs in your brew.

Back