beginner question - crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleBelly

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm a total newbie, just collecting my equipment and ingredients and hoping to get my first batch brewed next weekend. I'm going to ask a question at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot...

I'm going to start off brewing with malt extract until I get comfortable enough to move into an all grain system. Most of the recipes that I've read call for a certain amount of extraxct and then in addition a certain amount of crystal malt.. Can crystal malt purchased in extract form does is it usually come in a grain? If it is grain, can I simply add it to the wort using a muslin bag or is there something else I have to do to process it? Do I add it in right at the beginning of the boil with my malt extract?

Thanks,
Aaron

Welcome to HBT.

Your steeping grains (the crystal) are grains and they are slightly crushed. Grains do not get boiled (except in one rare instance which is beyond the scope of this thread).

Basic, and I mean real basic, instructions are as such

--Bring 2-3 gallons of water to 155
--Add grains (in muslin bag) to water and hold for at least 20 minutes
--Remove grains
--Turn up heat and bring to boil
--Add your extract, stirring well.
--Add your hops at the proper times
--Cool and pitch your yeast.

Back