Alcohol - What is this song?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Ironically after all of the years in radio that I have worked, there are still one or two one hit wonders that I fail to recall. One in particular is a song about alcohol. The singer has a 'higher' pitched voice and I would venture to say that this is a British based group (and falls into the 'Alternative' category)

At any rate part of the song goes 'Alcohol, oh alcohol - you make me want to love you then get on my knees and crawl' Oh alcohol, oh this I know...

And other lines regarding having to 'end up in the stall' (etc)

Suggestions have been made that it is BNL (Barenaked Ladies), The Kinks and neither of these are the artist (or the song) I am referencing.

I believe it came out in the mid 2000's (during my last stint in radio) but its stumping my brain!!!
Any thoughts?
-Me

To bad the google doesn't have the answer! If it's no CSS then it has to be "You're pretty when I'm drunk"

To bad the google doesn't have the answer! If it's no CSS then it has to be "You're pretty when I'm drunk"

I dont think so... I just listened to all of "Your Pretty when im Drunk" and its not it... none of the said lyrics are in it and the song contains no actul musical merit, it sounds of a comeady skit done to the tune of the theme somg of Fresh Prince Of Blare (SP)

Same with CSS, which sounds more like a moronic cross between a .Midi file and a kids dont drink when you underaged jingel... yeah... i said that... Also it didnt contain any of the aforementioned lyrics.

Its also not the Kinks... There song is like a cross between SKA and Pink Floyd, and Cakes... and not in a good way... makes me want to murder the next piano player i see...

Cheers

BJ, Have a couple pints of Apfelwein an I bet you will hear the lyrics!

Your place or mine? Ill check again, after i grab the bottle.:mug:

Edit: Nope i still didnt here it but i do have the sudden urge to watch Fresh Prince though

Edit: nope not Bayside either, at least this one didnt make me want to hurt myself for listening to it, but i did kinda see my hair growing into a fringe and started thinking of razor blades as my friends

Cheers

Here

I know, I know im a dick but I had to.

You are talking to the king of Google... Of course that was my first avenue of investigation. And of course it yielded nothing useful. -The closest I found was someone else asking the exact same question. (In 2005)
-Me

hahaha I was wondering if that was you asking the question!

BJ, I have 5 gallons of Apfel that has been sitting since 8/17. Come on over! :tank:

hahaha I was wondering if that was you asking the question!

BJ, I have 5 gallons of Apfel that has been sitting since 8/17. Come on over! :tank:

i wondered the same thing, I will be right over, cheers... I give up, i am pretty good with good with google myself and with the added help of youtube i still was unable to find a damn think close... well a few things close, and a few songs i relly wanted to listen to but youtube had no clue ever existed so i will just have to learn.

Cheers:mug:

Oh, well it was worth a try. I did think that those first two were it. They sounded really similar to what you were saying.

I think I will have to bug some of my old radio buddies when they get back into work. (Hopefully) they might have a clue.

Sad thing is quite a few of them have fallen victim to the curse of radio. (You work there for umpteen years then come in one day to find you no longer have a job)

Yup, welcome to radio
-Me

Wow, good luck with this one! I just spent an hour on a lyrics/song search site and no luck. Went through MANY pages of "alcohol" lyrics but couldn't find that combo

Sad thing is quite a few of them have fallen victim to the curse of radio. (You work there for umpteen years then come in one day to find you no longer have a job)

Yup, welcome to radio
-Me

Been there done that. At one station I was at, they scheduled a meeting 2 months in advance and made sure that everyone was going to be there for it. When we all arrived for the meeting, they handed out final paychecks and empty boxes to collect out personal belongings in and told us we all had to be off the property in 15 minutes. The next day we went by and looked in the windows and the place was EMPTY.

I HAVE FINALLY FOUND MY ANSWER!!!

Its a band called Howlin' Maggie -

Holy cow, a YEAR + later (and Ive been racking my brain for years on this one) when all of a sudden I get a PM in my inbox from some guy who created an account here just to let me know this. (He wont be back here cause he is on too many other forums LOL)

I had to let him know he is a Saint for out of the bluely finding this post and providing the ANSWER I was looking for! Ironically, they stumbled across it via another one of their songs. Too strange, but too cool nonetheless! http://magazine.jamsbio.com/2008/07/13/songs-we-forgot-90s-alternative-rock/

Last edited by a moderator:
My Brother's metal band, Hellyeah, has a song called "Alcohaulin' Ass". I was hoping that was going to end up being the answer. There's also a Brad Paisley song called "Alcohol".

My Brother's metal band, Hellyeah, has a song called "Alcohaulin' Ass". I was hoping that was going to end up being the answer. There's also a Brad Paisley song called "Alcohol".

Jigga what? Who's your brother? Love those guys and Mudvayne.

Sweet. "Alcohol and ass, pour another drink in my glass". A song doesn't get much better than that.

Back