Ingredients for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Other than apple cider and yeast, what else goes into making a good hard cider? Very tempted to try one.
How long does it take to make one?

You can add malt and/or dextrose, I always add extra dextrose, but I have only ever done them from kits, adding juice. For some reason my head keeps telling me to put cornsyrup in to "Thicken" it because something offends me when it doesn't have any head, but maybe that is just me. Mine brew out in about 2 weeks @ about 20 deg celcius. they are drinkable after 2 weeks in the bottle but more so when they've been sitting for 4-6 weeks. have fun!

My kit came with : pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, wine tannin, and an acid blend (powder) I have found lots of recipes with all of these chemicals--not sure if you mean chemical ingredients
can always add other fruit flavors, spices, different sugars, syrups etc to add/change flavor--amount of alcohol will likely change it too (but as a novice I really dont know about tastes of different alcohol levels:D )

My first batch took me 1 week primary, 1 week seconday but I think I rushed the secondary--going to wait 3 months to drink

Time can also be changed by how much extra sugars you add and what kind of yeast you use, i'd guess anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month or more

RichBrewer said:
Other than apple cider and yeast, what else goes into making a good hard cider? Very tempted to try one.
How long does it take to make one?
You just need a decent apple juice (no preservatives or added sugar) and an ale/cider yeast and some nutrient to help. Don't add any excessive sugars and you can carbonate them easily. Hard cider comes from acidic rather than 'eating' apples traditionally - If you add fruits with apple cider i'd suggest acidic additions for flavour rather than to boost 'sugar' for ABV.
It's well worth the experiment though. Good luck!:)

Caplan said:
You just need a decent apple juice (no preservatives or added sugar) and an ale/cider yeast and some nutrient to help. Don't add any excessive sugars and you can carbonate them easily. Hard cider comes from acidic rather than 'eating' apples traditionally - If you add fruits with apple cider i'd suggest acidic additions for flavour rather than to boost 'sugar' for ABV.
It's well worth the experiment though. Good luck!:)
OK now you are peaking my interest! I wonder if I could do some experimental one gallon batches?

One gallon experiments are great! You can test until you find something you love without the space or expense of commiting to 5 gallon etc.

Caplan said:
One gallon experiments are great! You can test until you find something you love without the space or expense of commiting to 5 gallon etc.
Oh man! Looking for apples as I write this! :ban:

If you can find good fresh juice in glass gallons, all you need to add is some yeast and an airlock. I generally pour off a cup of juice to leave room for fermenting. Unfortunately, plastic gallons are about all I can find around here.

david_42 said:
If you can find good fresh juice in glass gallons, all you need to add is some yeast and an airlock. I generally pour off a cup of juice to leave room for fermenting. Unfortunately, plastic gallons are about all I can find around here.
I was thinking of doing just that. I was also thinking about using 1/2 gallon growlers for fermenters. Can I send apples through my juicer to make cider? Sounds like most ciders are made from a mixture of apples but it might be kinda fun to try.

I would recommend waiting at least 2 months (the longer the better) for the cider to properly age before drinking.

I have 10 gals that are 6 months plus and are so much better than the batch that was only 1 month.

I bet you could use your juicer--i use a combination blender and straining bag--and with that it takes me about 30 mins to squeeze out a gallon--juicer would probably save you from tiny fruit pieces and may be faster (less hand juice contact anyway)

Talcottsk said:
I bet you could use your juicer--i use a combination blender and straining bag--and with that it takes me about 30 mins to squeeze out a gallon--juicer would probably save you from tiny fruit pieces and may be faster (less hand juice contact anyway)
I agree - A juicer would work!
The only thing i would add to the juicing fresh apples thing is a crushed campden tablet 24hrs before adding a yeast. Just a 'belt and braces' measure of stopping any wild yeasts getting in. I don't do it with pasteurised juice - the wild yeasts have been seen off already.

Back