Does brewing cause you to drink more beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
A friend of mine who once did home brewing told me that my rate of consumption will increase with a surplus of homebrew laying around the house.

I am trying to establish my pipeline and need to take into account an increased consumption factor.

What do you think? 1.5x 2.0x 2.5x normal consumption?

My consumption hasn't noticably increased. I don't hoard the beer I brew for my own consumption....I give away pretty much 1/2 of what I brew. Most brewers I know are the same way.

Now, my tastes in beer has definitely gotten more pricey. I definitely spend a lot more $$$ on beer since I became a brewer.

My consumption hasn't noticably increased. I don't hoard the beer I brew for my own consumption....I give away pretty much 1/2 of what I brew. Most brewers I know are the same way.

Now, my tastes in beer has definitely gotten more pricey. I definitely spend a lot more $$$ on beer since I became a brewer.

My thoughts exactly.

In all I actually probably drink less because my tastes are a bit more pricey/refined. I drink maybe 3-4 beers a week.

I dont drink more, but I do enjoy what im drinking more. I like the feedback from others so I give a lot away.

Agree - I drink less but a LOT more variety, and a LOT more expensive beers (when not drinking homebrew). Plus, most of the beer I drink now is 6+ abv so there is no need to swill down 12 crappy beers to cop that buzz :drunk:

My thoughts exactly.

In all I actually probably drink less because my tastes are a bit more pricey/refined. I drink maybe 3-4 beers a week.

I agree completely. Unless you are an alcoholic who cannot control himself in the presence of alcohol, you will probably not drink much more. The only way I see consumption increasing due to having a beer surplus around is if you routinely find yourself saying something like "I sure wish I could have a beer tonight, but I just don't have any here, and I don't want to go to the store"

Your personal self-control will dictate the amount that you drink, not the quantity of beer in your fridge/kegerator. I routinely have 2 or 3 bottles of different kinds of liquor sitting in my liquor cabinet, but I don't get sloshed on whiskey any more than I used to, either.

Over a year I drink more, but not daily or weekly. I never drink more than one on an average day and perhaps (rarely) two or three on very special evenings. And I only consume about four or five nights a week. The only reason I drink more over a year is because I drink more regularly. When not brewing we would often go weeks with no beer or wine in the house. While brewing (since I do five gallon batches) we build up a surplus, so the house is rarely dry.

I'm the type that used to not drink much because I was out of beer and didn't want to go buy it. If they sols beer at a reasonable price on Amazon, id have been much poorer.

Now that I have beer on tap, I drink about 2x as much, plus I have people over and we drink together more often.

I may drink a little more when I have it, but I drink a lot less when I'm out (it's hard to spend money on bottle beer these days).

I do drink more. Not a ton, but more.
I've always got some handy, plus I'm eager to try something new when I see it so I can see what I think. Maybe even get inspired to try something based on a new type of beer.

Mine certainly increased , having gallons in the house as opposed to a few cans certainly adds to the temptation and ease of pulling another pint , but it tastes so so good and knowing you've produced it as well

I usually have 1-2 about 4 nights per week. Can't remember the last time I had more than 4. My consumption has gone up though. Prior to brewing I probably drank less than a 6-pack per week.

On the flip side, I think my borboun comsumption has gone down.

Since I started brewing I definitely spend some serious $$$ at the beer store. I usually buy a few bombers at $7-$10 each. It's funny that I'll complain about $10 for a six-pack, but I'll drop $8 on a bomber of Firestone. I just dropped $50 during my lunch hour. I stumbled onto a few bottles of Dogfish Head 120. $15 each! I'm looking forward these. I've never had one.

That varies by the person. How many do you think you drink in the average week?

I would say 4 or so each (wife and I) 2 - 2.5x a week so.....

16 - 20 burrs a week or so.

Also, I should consider an increase due to giving away to friends and family. Didn't think about sharing but I already have plenty of folks that want to be on my list.

I drink less frequently and less per sitting now than I did before brewing my own. I drank 2-3 30 packs of Natty Lite a week with a sprinkling of something or another every once in a while. Since brewing my own I only drink 1-7 nights a week(I know I know) and usually only 1-3 beers on that night(s) that I DO drink.

So less quantity, but more quality.

At first, I went up a bit. I'd say the first 2-3 batches as I was eager to try and offer one to every visitor. Now I'd say I am back to normal. I usually have one a night once the kids and wife are settled into bed. Then on weekends I have a few. I'd say the consumption hasn't gone up, but my enjoyment of the craft has.

I actually am about to start drinking less. Well, already have, really. I very rarely drink more than one in a day, and when I do drink, it's almost always the weekend. I've been known to keep a six pack for a couple months. It shouldn't be an issue for me.

What I don't need are the increased calories. I really need to drop some weight, and doing so while drinking beer is next to impossible for me.

I drink about twice as much. Used to be I'd buy a 6-pack during the week, then have 4-5 on Friday or Saturday night. Now that I have several cases on the shelf, I can drink 4-5 on Friday, then fill the empty slots in the carrier and have 4-5 on Saturday too!

I'm drinking less here because even though I'm new at this I find my brews to be much more gratifying than the commercial beers I'm used to drinking, so I need less. Also everything I've brewed so far have been hopped beers, and even though I enjoy them, my taste buds can only handle one or two at the most before being overwhelmed.

I'm also conscious of the weight gain potential, so I also am trying to practice a little self-discipline.

I anticipate drinking more in the summer though, and I need to find a few lighter, crisp session beers to brew.

If you're the kind of guy like me who wants a beer at the end of the day (and usually has one, and one only), but does not frequently purchase beer due to odd working hours or etc. This can also be affected by economics, as in, i was a student about three years ago, and I'd drink almost exclusively my own homebrew, because for the price of a 24 I'd be able to crank out a batch of really good dark ale that'd last me three to six months.

If you fit the above, then yes, you will drink more.

Not because you're suddenly in a wealth of brew and can afford to toss a few back, but because you now have the stock on hand to go from "Y'know, a beer would go good with this pizza" to "Hold on, gotta grab one from the fridge"

Your consumption will almost definitely rise a little bit to start, but shouldn't be more than having a beer on a night you were too lazy to drive to the store.

I think I actually drink less because it has a better taste and is often way more potent than retail brands. I chill mine almost to the point of freexing and serve it up in a chilled 1 liter german beer mug and it seems to last longer because I am enjoying the nuances of the flavores I added when I brewed it. So it tend to swig and sip rather than guzzle and chug, But thats just me....
Wheelchair Bob

My beer consumption has jumped to about 4 times what I used to. However this is only a temporary thing; I started brewing in November, used to only drink wheat beers, right now I'm looking for other beer styles I like and if I did not start exploring beer I would get board brewing the same thing repeatedly.

I def thing I tended to drink a lil more now like I did when I was younger. Loved beer flavor. Now That It finally hit home that beer weakens bones (partly from watching "bones"),I stopped drinking during the week,saving it for weekends. I have a bit less pain from some bad joints/pinched nerves & the L2 disc.

I don't think my beer consumption has increased since I've started brewing, but as others said it changed my tastes to more expensive beer. That is not to say I don't occasionally enjoy a BMC type beer now and then, but basically since I started brewing, if I do go to the store to buy beer, my personal little rule is if I buy a 6-pack of something, it must be something I've never had before or one of my new goto beers that I've discovered since I started brewing, such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Really I do this to see if I want to brew something along that style or not.

I remember in college that I disliked beers that were hoppy, I thought drinking a Bud was going for the heavy stuff. Now, I seek beers with character, flavor, and hops. So while it may not have really increased my beer consumption, I've never been a big beer drinker to begin with, its changed what I like to drink more than anything.

^^Sounds like me. When I was a teen/young man,Bud was da chit,mang. Now SNPA is my fav goto. but lately,since I quit drinkin beer everyday,I do like you said & pick up a 6'r or two of something different. Today for instance,I got another 6'r in cans of Oskar blue's Dale's pale ale & a 6'r of SA Winter Lager. The label says it's a dark wheat bock with spices like Great Lakes Christmas ale. I'll see how it is in a couple hours.
Sounds interesting at the least. But man,do I wish Stroh's would brew there Bock beer again. It was so popular around here at that time,even Pizza Hut had it on tap by the pitcher.

^^Sounds like me. When I was a teen/young man,Bud was da chit,mang. Now SNPA is my fav goto. but lately,since I quit drinkin beer everyday,I do like you said & pick up a 6'r or two of something different. Today for instance,I got another 6'r in cans of Oskar blue's Dale's pale ale & a 6'r of SA Winter Lager. The label says it's a dark wheat bock with spices like Great Lakes Christmas ale. I'll see how it is in a couple hours.
Sounds interesting at the least. But man,do I wish Stroh's would brew there Bock beer again. It was so popular around here at that time,even Pizza Hut had it on tap by the pitcher.

Don't care for the SA Winter Lager myself.

But I'll choke down a few cans if you can't tolerate them. ;)

We'll know for sure in a bit here. Just gotta shake down the extra large coffee I just finished a bit ago. Gunna try the SAWL first,as I don't want the Dale's pale ale soaked into my mouth before going to that one.

I really enjoy higher end beers and mostly brew 'more expensive' styles. When I've got 8 cases of saison in the cellar, it's not hard to open an extra bottle or two as compared to what I'd drink it it cost me $10 a bottle.

Once my sour and Brett finished pipeline gets going, I'll be in trouble.

I drink a good chunk more. I've always had GOOD taste in beer (translate a lot more expensive than that cheap crap in grocery stores) so I could never afford to drink as much as I liked. Now that I'm brewing I'm ALWAYS making something new and I can rack up a nice surplus of beer. now that I MAKE good beer I have it around all the time instead of budgeting 1 nice six pack or a couple bombers a week....

I drink a good chunk more. I've always had GOOD taste in beer (translate a lot more expensive than that cheap crap in grocery stores) so I could never afford to drink as much as I liked. Now that I'm brewing I'm ALWAYS making something new and I can rack up a nice surplus of beer. now that I MAKE good beer I have it around all the time instead of budgeting 1 nice six pack or a couple bombers a week....

That is why I like to venture out and try a 6 pack of something new each time I go to the stores, to keep up a variety and to challenge myself to brew something as good if not better than I can buy in the store. The only way I know I can do that is if I go out and buy something I've never had. This has also allowed me to figure out the types of beer I do not like, such as wheat beers.

When it comes to wheat beers,I like Franziskaner Weissbier. It has little of that banana or clove thing going on. Tastes like clean,organic sweet wheat kinda thing to me. Plus the lighter amber green bottles make my ales look good. They also seal well.

Back