Mexican Cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertmosier

Reaction score
New to Home brewing, so please forgive me if I get some of the terminology incorrect. This is only my second batch and we have the Coopers Mexican Cerveza in the primary now. My question is, when we bought the kit the owner of the HBS told us that we did not need anything but the priming sugar with this kit. When we got it home we read that it recommends the brew enhancer + 500g of DME + 250g of sugar/dextrose. All we had prior to starting was 254g of DME Golden light. So we used that. When we put the wort in the primary I took and OG and it was 1.026?? It has been 24 hours and still nothing from the airlock, I opened the primary and there is about 2" of foam on top. My question is, is it fermenting? is that low of and OG OK? Please help.

Thank you

I'm pretty sure if you have a thick krausen on top it's fermenting just fine. The lack of airlock activity is probably just because the lid didn't seal perfectly. It's a little low for an OG until you consider what a mexican cervesa usually is like. Medium-low alcohol, light body, etc.

Just take a reading again once your readings are stable over a couple days it's good to go.

Glad it worked out. I had the same problem recently with a mocha porter. Freaked out too. Let me know how the brew comes out, I've been meaning to brew a cerveza.

I did a Mexican lager with 40% flaked corn. It is a bit grainy, but still good. I might cut the corn back to 25-30% and see how it turns out. I had 10lbs of grains for a 5gal batch and my OG was 1.052. That is a little high, but I am happy with the additional malt base flavor. As with anything in brewing it is all personal preference. I squeeze a lime in a pint and friends think it is a commercial Mexican beer.......not sure if that is a good thing, but it is the result I was looking for.

Mexican Cerveza has been in the bottle for 10 days, tried one the other day and it smelled a little like wine, but then i tried one today and it seems to be loosing a little of the wine smell. I think it is going to be okay? We are not going to try another for at least a week or so.:mug:

Back