People brewing over 20 gallons - What container do you use to make your starter in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanpace

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what everyone uses for a starter vessel when brewing over 20 gallons.

Obviously the 5000 or 2000 ML flask things are too small, even when using a stir plate.

I was thinking of using a 5 gallon better bottle, filling it to 3 gallons and using a stir plate (a big stir plate that is)

I've tried to use a 5 gallon glass carboy, but the magnets just weren't strong enough to go through all that glass, and the bottom is concave..which makes it practically impossible to use on my stir plate.

(was thinking the plastic on a better bottle would be thinner and not concave on the bottom)

It depends on how big a batch I'm brewing. If it's a big beer, I'll make a smaller beer first and pitch on the cake. Scottish 60- to Scotch Ale for example. If it's a smaller beer, I'll make 2 X 2000mL starters and that seems to work fine for me.

That or I'll use 4 X 11.5g dry packets. I ferment 20G in 2 12.2G fermenters.

ah, well i was looking at a 5 gallon water bottle, and thought that maybe the better bottles are built on the same design. (it has a flat bottom)

for a 25 gallon batch I just use 4-5 dry yeast packs. But if I can't or don't want dry yeast I'll make a 5 gallon beer and rack the 25 gallon onto that cake.

The biggest batch I've made has been about 13 gal and its been split into 3 carboys. If someone was making a huge batch and had say a conical that would fit the whole batch in, why not make your starter right in there. Of course you wouldn't be able to put it on a stir plate, but if that was your 2nd step then it might not be necessary.

Back