Need to stain a fence or deck? (short video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Get an airless sprayer!!! I used a Wagner Paint Crew sprayer. It got mixed reviews, but it was pretty cheap, and it worked for the entire job (12 gallons of paint and stain). With 320+ pickets to stain, I'd be staining pickets for the rest of my natural life if I had to use a brush. The stain is Behr Waterproofing Wood Finish, Redwood #402. The label on the bucket said that airless application was only recommended for professionals. Bah! I found that a steady hand and a few trial pieces are all it takes to get a very even and adequate coat with a single pass.

More fence pics and progress can be found in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
airless sprayers don't need a compressor as they have an onboard pump (typically diaphram) They are great for spraying viscous paints and stains. HVLP sprayers are even more impressive. Earlex makes an inexpensive one that really delivers a nice finish.

dude, I love videos of stuff like that...you could probably have paid some day laborers to do it pronto...but having a new tool is way better IMHO

I take it you smoke, since you didn't have a respirator on.
How did I know someone was going to make that comment? I'm upwind of the boards, spraying with a 10 mph wind, so very little of the stain was coming back toward me.

In addition, it was over 100° that day, so the added risk of heat problems quickly overcame the added safety of protective gear.

How did I know someone was going to make that comment? I'm upwind of the boards, spraying with a 10 mph wind, so very little of the stain was coming back toward me.

In addition, it was over 100° that day, so the added risk of heat problems quickly overcame the added safety of protective gear.

What about second hand stain??:cross:

Back