small scale brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warboss100

Reaction score
in a few months i will be able to get hold of nice fresh apples and pears from near by tree's "friendly neighbours" and i don't want to take advantage so much that i make like 5+ gallons of cider..

all the ciders i have been making have been from cartons of juice "pure" and i want to try and juice my own fruit and make propper cider.

so how much yeast would i need roughly if i made a batch of 1L of juice as then from this i can double or triple to get what i need.

any help would be thanked.

George.

I can't answer your question about the amount of apples per gallon of juice but would it really be taking advantage if you were to make 5 gal and to give the tree owners back a gallon or two of finished product?

One package of yeast is good for up to six gallons.
And let's be honest. Yeast is right around $1.00. Don't be a cheapskate! Use the whole package...in a 1 gallons batch, 3 gallon batch, or 6 gallons. You would rather over pitch than under TRUST ME!
Just juice away and take a gravity reading...You can always add honey or sugar or whatever to increase the alcohol levels if you want to.

And let's be honest. Yeast is right around $1.00. Don't be a cheapskate!

im not bothered about money, its just as i will only make 1litre of juice which is 1/4 of gallon slightly less i wasn't sure whether too much yeast would be a bad thing. sorry if i confused people but thats all i was trying to say

Anyone mind if I ask a few questions too? I'm thinking about doing a few test batches of hard cider later this summer (1 gallon each). I would like to use apple cider from a local farm. They do not pasteurize the cider. So a bunch of questions:

1 - Should I pasteurize the cider? Are there any disadvantages (other than the extra time) to doing this? I would prefer a controlled fermentation rather than a natural one.

2 - Are there specific fining agents that are preferred for making cider (vs. those used for beer)?

3 - If I want to make 1 gallon test batches, what is a good container size to ferment in? Could I just use a little less and use a 1 gallon container or would it be better to use something bigger? If I go bigger, how much extra space is too much (oxidation)?

4 - If I would like to add fruit to the cider (this is where the experimentation comes in), is it better to do in a secondary or to just add it to the primary? I assume this gets into the "when do I add the fruit to my beer" debate, but perhaps with cider there are different opinions.

5 - It seems that a number of recipes call for the addition of yeast nutrients. How important is this? Any recommendations?

6 - I'd like to keep this brew a little sweet. Will the addition of fruit help with that, or should I add a sweetening agent like lactose?

7 - And lastly (for now) what strain of yeast should I use? I'm not looking for a high percentage brew, but something more in line with a strong beer alcohol-wise. Would an ale yeast do the trick?

Warboss, I think we pressed 7 bu last year and got around 30 gallons of Cider. Thing is the more you press, the better the results...so do more than you think you'll need. It takes quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back