Lactose, carbing and bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjo-guy

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been following the cider discussion for about a month. I'm a new member in the middle of my first first cider brew.
I've got two brewed in two secondaries.
I fermented both fully.
I am planning on adding lactose to back sweeten. I will also add a natural extract for apple flavor. I want to bottle condition it.
I don't feel comfortable with pasteurization on my stove.
Can I just add priming sugar to the bottles the way I would with beer without worrying about bottle bombs?

Short answer is yes. The longer answer is yes if first let it ferment out completely and don't add any more fermentables to it before priming and bottling.

Lactose does not really sweeten, at least I don't perceive it as 'sweet'. You might taste some before you go this direction, before using it on a batch.

Have you see this? www.makinghardcider.com

Yes . That is the web site I followed for this brew.

The site recommends xylitol to back sweeten. I've read that many people have

Sorry,I hit send.

Some people have digestive issues with xyltol.
I have Splenda , lactose and xylitol on hand.
I might try a few bottles with each of these just to see how each tastes .

I would prefer to back sweeten with cider or frozen apple juice but pasteurization on the stove is something I don't want to get into,

banjo-guy said:
Sorry,I hit send.

Some people have digestive issues with xyltol.
I have Splenda , lactose and xylitol on hand.
I might try a few bottles with each of these just to see how each tastes .

I would prefer to back sweeten with cider or frozen apple juice but pasteurization on the stove is something I don't want to get into,

If you have a dishwasher, consider pasteurising your bottled cider in there. I have done this successfully and easily on many an occasion.

If you have a dishwasher, consider pasteurising your bottled cider in there. I have done this successfully and easily on many an occasion.

I'm curious about that Fossey. What settings for the dish washer and types of bottles do you use?

I set my dishwasher on the Intensive setting, which runs for 2hrs 15 mins with the stated max temp of 70C. I don't know what temp the cider in the bottled gets to but this method has stopped the fermentation of Upstate Mike's Caramel Apple Hard Cider at 1.014.

I am using predominantly Rekorderlig bottles - and filling them with something much better!

WilliamSlayer said:
Ok, thhks! Haven't tried this dishwasher method, but I've been interested to see what works for people. :)

Best part is the whole batch is done in one go - set and forget.

If any do blow - and I've only had one bottle go - you'll find the mess in a little pile at the bottom of the dishwasher, not all over the kitchen and embedded in your face!!!

Also the bottles are gradually heated rather than plonked into hot water, reducing shock on the glass.

Best part is the whole batch is done in one go - set and forget.

If any do blow - and I've only had one bottle go - you'll find the mess in a little pile at the bottom of the dishwasher, not all over the kitchen and embedded in your face!!!

Contained mess is a huge selling factor on this method I must say...

Fossey said:
I set my dishwasher on the Intensive setting, which runs for 2hrs 15 mins with the stated max temp of 70C. I don't know what temp the cider in the bottled gets to but this method has stopped the fermentation of Upstate Mike's Caramel Apple Hard Cider at 1.014.

I am using predominantly Rekorderlig bottles - and filling them with something much better!

This is brilliant. Never thought of this. Thank you!

I've been making cider from apples that I press myself for the last 4 years. Last year, I switched from champagne yeast to S04. I primaried for a month and secondaried for another month. I also bottled with both frozen apple concentrate (at room temp) and lactose. I think this was the key to sweet, carbed, bottle conditioned cider. I waited 6 more months and started popping them in May. Everyone agrees it's the best yet. It even has a cinnamon scent, even though I didn't add any!

I'm not going to wait to press my own to make another batch. I'll use Nottingham this time, since I have a bunch washed. I'll certainly bottle with lactose.

Do you mean you bottled with both together or you tried both & lactose better.

Can you give quantities?

Sorry for the delay. I bottled with both one can of concentrate and 1 lb of lactose per 5 gallon batch.

Looks like this is going to be a great apple year here in the Northeast. This year I hope to do one batch with S04 and one batch with Notty. If I press a bunch, I might even try another batch with US-05 priming using the same concentrate and adding the same amount of lactose to each so I can try and decide which yeast I like best.

Back