What Size Growler Do You Prefer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Myself, I find the half-gallon growlers too much beer to go thru, unless I have friends/company. But most times when I've picked up a growler that ain't the case and by the 3rd day it's lost a lot of carbonation and is not as good. Wasteful!

I tend to prefer the 1-liter size. Much more manageable, and if I have friends over, they can pitch in on the price of a 2nd growler.

I'm in the position now where I'm ordering growlers for our brewery and wanted to see what the general consensus is on this topic?

Danke!

I'm personally into the 64oz size, but that's just because I get them refilled at the local breweries and I prefer to get at least a few glasses out of it if I'm going to drive down and drop $6 on a fill-up. I'll usually just get one every other week or so, and I go through it in 3-4 days at a glass a day or so. Plus, I can pour one for a friend and not feel like I'm giving half of it away in one shot. :)

I'm in the position now where I'm ordering growlers for our brewery and wanted to see what the general consensus is on this topic?

Danke!
If only one size than 64 is standard. Offering a 32 is a bonus that I think more breweries will be offering in the future

Here's the thing: the 2-liter flip-top growler I want won't be available until months after we're operational. So I'm thinking I'll get the 1-liter flip-top now and then can see if the demand is there for the 2-liter down the road. I really want to stick to flip-tops, I like them MUCH better than the screw cap 64oz'er.

I could get by with a 1 liter flip top. I could also wait for the 2 liter. If I was in the area I would probably have 1 of each.

I also like having the ~32 oz size as an option. Flip top bottle is nice, especially if the price isn't too crazy. I would never buy one of those $30 flip-top uber-growlers I see at some breweries.

Here in FL, growlers up to 32oz are legal, and growlers OVER 1 gallon are legal, but growlers between 32oz and 1 gallon are illegal. Figure out the logic behind that one.

I could get by with a 1 liter flip top. I could also wait for the 2 liter. If I was in the area I would probably have 1 of each.

I've seen a couple places that originally offered the flip-tops and eventually switched to screw-tops. My guess is that the price difference for the brewery/bar/restaurant is pretty big and the customer isn't willing to pay the difference when a competitor offers growlers for a much lower price.

The flip-tops are much nicer, but customers are just going to be looking at the bottom line and will probably opt for the lower priced option despite how much nicer the flip-tops are. That and now I would need to buy several more because you want to go with 1L sizes. That's fine if I wanted to try a few different beers, but not big enough even for a night for me. I mean, it's two pints! It's like a sample size as far as growlers go.

I've seen a couple places that originally offered the flip-tops and eventually switched to screw-tops. My guess is that the price difference for the brewery/bar/restaurant is pretty big and the customer isn't willing to pay the difference when a competitor offers growlers for a much lower price.

The flip-tops are much nicer, but customers are just going to be looking at the bottom line and will probably opt for the lower priced option despite how much nicer the flip-tops are. That and now I would need to buy several more because you want to go with 1L sizes. That's fine if I wanted to try a few different beers, but not big enough even for a night for me. I mean, it's two pints! It's like a sample size as far as growlers go.

The screw tops suck for holding carbonation. I never get a growler from a brewery that has screw tops. To me it shows they dont have much pride in their beer.

The screw tops suck for holding carbonation. I never get a growler from a brewery that has screw tops. To me it shows they dont have much pride in their beer.

I have to say I agree 100%.

The flip-top growlers we'd offer will be a bit more than a typical 64oz screw top, but we're talking like $5.

I'm personally into the 64oz size, but that's just because I get them refilled at the local breweries and I prefer to get at least a few glasses out of it if I'm going to drive down and drop $6 on a fill-up. I'll usually just get one every other week or so, and I go through it in 3-4 days at a glass a day or so. Plus, I can pour one for a friend and not feel like I'm giving half of it away in one shot. :)

My goodness man! Where are you getting this, Deschuttes? Around here, the cheapest i've found is $10, which I thought was a good deal.

I like the 64 oz with the flip top and metal handle. Many of of local breweries use the 32 oz with a screw top and either shrink wrap or tape. I find myself driving a little out of my way to fill the 64 oz more often.

Seems like many pubs have trouble filling a 1-liter growler. I've been charged as much for 1L as for two because it's a pain.

Check out the hydro flask. Its basically the same thing except it is like a giant thermos. Vacuum sealed insulation

Looks cool. We considered the hydro flask. Since the Zythos Project is local we went with them.

Also, you can re-carb with the one from Zythos although it requires a 'sold separately' kit.

Back