Portland, OR pubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yrewerb

Reaction score
I could use some advice from folks in the Portland area. I'm putting together a golf trip to Portland for later this month. I have the courses set, but could use suggestions on pubs for food and beer. We'll be staying in Newberg, and playing Langdon Farms, Stone Creek, Heron Lakes and The Reserve.

TIA, Bob

Kells Irish pub and any one of McMenamins are places I frequent in Portland. Kells has two pubs in Portland and the newest is a brew pub. Im not sure they are serving their own beer yet but it's a great stop none the less. You'll have to throw a dart at the McMenamins website to find a place to land (many to choose from), but I would recommend the Edgefield in Troutdale. That is a must see.
Good luck and cheers.

If you like bigger breweries, Widmer, Rogue and Bridgeport all have nice pubs. However, there are many different nano and micro breweries in Portland, and any neighborhood place where you're staying is worth trying. My favorite is HUB.

All of the above are worth a visit, as is Belmont Station. They carry a large variety of craft / specialty brews as well as having some local brews on tap.

HUB (Hopworks Urban Brewery) is a great one. Gigantic Brewing, which just open is another great place, the brewmaster used to work at HUB. Both near each other. The large ones are mentioned above. Two others that aren't bad is Lucky Lab and Laurelwood.

Doesn't deschutes have a pub there too? The food at their pub in bend is awesome....

To add, Newberg isn't exactly a 'hotspot ' for breweries, but there are a few, Chehalem Valley and Heater Allen (located about 15 minutes out in McMinville) are a couple of choices that are nearby. But I think you'll need to expand your search for anything worthwhile which is why all the above have been mentioned. Good luck and hope you have fun. :D

Green Dragon
Bailey's Taproom
Horse Brass Pub
Hawthorne Hop House

One of the great things about Portland is that you can't throw a rock without hitting a place with great beers. Even the many stripclubs have great beer on tap!

Green dragon
Cascade barrel house (across the street from green dragon)
Migration
Luarelwood

Bottles NW. 8 Beers on tap but the entire room is fridges stuffed with bottles. I would guess they have at least 200 different beers. Plus Pinball, darts, and shuffle board in the back.

I know it's a drive from Newberg but I work at the Resort at the Mountain golf course and the scenery is beautiful. We're up at Mt. Hood if you make it that far.

haha acrop...

too many!

if you're setting up a golf trip, i would reccomend edgefield out in troutdale (maybe a 20 min drive from portland) huge golf course. Mcmenamins beer is decent, not the best, but the experence from there makes up for everything :).

Widmer is great as well, AWESOME FOOD!
Across the street is another mcmenamins, white eagle, which has local bands play all the time, not rock bands usually, but eclectic music, some folk etc, pretty rad.
Lucky lab is another fun one.
Collition brewhouse is a great one, met the brewers/owners the other night, great people.
Cascade barrelhouse for some sours!
seriously, throw a dart, you'll find a good beer selection at pretty much anywhere you stop into.

Well someone e mention chehelem valley which is golden valley brew pub in mcminnville which is 15 mins from newberg headed to the coast. There is also mcminamens Oregon hotel in mcminnville. If the weather is good the roof will be open and is a great place in the evening. Henrys in portland has a huge beer list as well.

Thanks for all the replies. I knew there was plenty of good food and beer in Portland. That's the problem, too many choices, and I would hate to miss the best ones. I'm astounded at the number of places owned by McMenamins. They even have a few up here in Seattle, but I'm hoping to sample some of the beer from the smaller breweries that may not make it up here often. I'll definitely hit Chehalem Valley because they're just down the road from where we're staying. We're playing in different areas, so we can swing by just about just about any place. The only area I've ruled out is downtown Portland itself. I've been there and there are tons of good spots, but I'd like to try something different this time.

Boy - The same group of golfers stayed and played at Resort at the Mountain last year. We had a very good time. It must be great to live and work there (in the summer anyway.)

Bob

The McMenamins with the best beer in the area is the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse off of Hwy 26 West in Hillsboro. They brew on site and always seem to have about 6 seasonals brewed there...and they are always good. The have a killer CDA called "Dark Star."

They also have a distillery there...so you can buy any of their Gin, whisky etc. I really like the Hogshead whisky myself.

Glad you got to come up Bob. I've worked there for 5 summers now and lived on the mountain for 6. Love it here. This year they put me in charge of the beer taps and ordering so I am doing my best to keep them new, exciting, and fresh. Mostly smaller breweries that are hard to find.

The McMenamins with the best beer in the area is the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse off of Hwy 26 West in Hillsboro. They brew on site and always seem to have about 6 seasonals brewed there...and they are always good. The have a killer CDA called "Dark Star."

They also have a distillery there...so you can buy any of their Gin, whisky etc. I really like the Hogshead whisky myself.

When I lived in Eugene, i LOVED the North Bank McMenamins' "Hogrita." A margarita made with their Hogshead Whiskey instead of tequila. Surprisingly delicious!

I think Laurelwood and Hopworks are the two absolutes for people coming here. Also a quick trip to Belmont Station is important. If you have time, Deschutes and Widmer will have some good Pub-only beers to try.

Also, I live/work in Newberg. Hit me up if you need any info.

Latest posts

Back