Specialty IPA: Red IPA India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was close to the LBS during work today and bought the(orig recipe) ingredients minus the black malt. Warrior for bittering and cascade and northern brewer for the rest. Will brew next weekend, finally the weather has cooled down here in Fl and it won't be hotter than hell on brew day.

Making 10 gallons of this today using less crystal 120 to get the color down to around 15SRM, and using Falconer's Flight hops again. Going to bitter with Magnum this time and use all F.F. for 30 minutes and beyond. I dry hopped with almost 3 oz last time and this beer was heaven.

Good plan, chumpsteak. I really like the original, but I also think that for my current tastes leaning towards drier beers, using less crystal is getting me there. SRM was 15.8 on my last one. I used 9 oz. C-40 and 5 Oz. Brit Dark Cystal( C-135) and 1 oz black. I went with Magnum for bittering as well (I have lots of that I need to use) moved the Simcoe to 15 min and Amarillo to 5 min (no Cascade) and dry hopped with 2 oz. Simcoe pellets only ....it turned out great.

Again, glad you brewers are playing around with Mosher's recipe too and it is great to read all the different tasty tweaks people are trying with this recipe!

Just tried a gravity sample about 1 week into fermentation and it tastes great! Used malt ingredients from recipe and changed the hops (warrior/centennial). I have an IPA with the same hopping schedule and in comparison I'm loving the malt complexity that this brew has. Great for the fall! Awesome recipe Tim, thanks for posting this!

I am new to brewing and would really like to try this recipe as reds/ipas are my favorite beers....why not combine!!!

My question is that I usually do extract/partial mash....and with a 6.5gal fermenter....how would the recipe look for that or how do I convert the original (not sure on size of op).

Thanks!

I am new to brewing and would really like to try this recipe as reds/ipas are my favorite beers....why not combine!!!

My question is that I usually do extract/partial mash....and with a 6.5gal fermenter....how would the recipe look for that or how do I convert the original (not sure on size of op).

Thanks!

Hey bwookie, here is from page 2 or 3 of this thread...partial mash from jman. He liked the results. Hope this helps!

Pale DME 4.47lbs
Munich type 1 (10L) 5 lbs.
Crystal 40L .75 lbs
Crystal 90L .5 lbs
Black malt 1 oz

All whole hops
Simcoe(13% aa) 1 oz 60 min
Amarillo(9.3% aa)1 oz 30 min
Cascade (7% aa)1 oz 5 min

Simcoe .5 oz dry hops
Amarillo 1 oz dry hops
Cascade .5 oz dry hops

Mash 6.3 quarts 165* 45-60 mins
Rinse 1 gal 180*
Add water to get 7 gallons
Boil 90 min
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Cool thanks 1 last question is how large is that for? I am doing a 6.5 gal. Fermenter, that recipe I believe is for 7, should I downsize the ingredients?

Cool thanks 1 last question is how large is that for? I am doing a 6.5 gal. Fermenter, that recipe I believe is for 7, should I downsize the ingredients?

That 7 gallons is the pre-boil volume. So, after you sparge, if the volume is below 7 gallons, just add water to reach the 7 gallon mark in your kettle.
The assumption is that you will boil off about 1.5 gallons in 90 minutes. The hops will absorb about a quart or so and end with 5.25 to 5.5 gallons in the kettle. That will leave you with the perfect head space in your 6.5 gallon fermenter. So, no worries-brew it as written.

Also, jman has his mash temp as 165f. I assume this is the water temperature before he mixes with the grain to reach conversion temperature. Your mash should be in the 153-154 range.

Happy Brewing,

Tim

How did I miss this? I will be brewing this up this weekend for sure. I can't get simcoe though. Anybody have decent results with substituting with an easier to find hop?

I called my LHBS again and they just got some in stock.

I'm going to brew this one up per the recipe this weekend.

Thanks

Going to have to try this one. Not much space in my apartment, so I'll be doing this partial mash. The Mosher book says something like 6 or 6.5 lbs of DME...that can't be right can it? I was thinking about doing 5lbs for the 5 gallon batch instead.

Also thinking about doing Warrior, Amarillo, and Simcoe for hops assuming I can actually find the Simcoes.

Going to have to try this one. Not much space in my apartment, so I'll be doing this partial mash. The Mosher book says something like 6 or 6.5 lbs of DME...that can't be right can it? I was thinking about doing 5lbs for the 5 gallon batch instead.

Also thinking about doing Warrior, Amarillo, and Simcoe for hops assuming I can actually find the Simcoes.

Here is the PM version from earlier in the thread....worked well.

Pale DME 4.47lbs
Crystal 40L .75 lbs
Crystal 90L .5 lbs
Black malt 1 oz

Use the hops you have/can get. Play with the recipe. My version is a tweak from Mosher's recipe, and all of us here are doing something to "customize", be it hops, yeast, grain, fermentation temperature, etc.

I love Simcoe, but I have brewed this with all sorts of hops. Some brewers do not dig the Simcoe, ChillWill likes it better with Chinook.
Look through the thread to see all the variations people have tried to get inspired.

I was fortunate enough to get multiple pounds of 2011 Centennial, Cascade, Liberty and Willamette from local Willamette Valley hops farm for free (lucky to know the right guy). So, I just brewed a slightly lower gravity(1.060) and lower SRM(15.5) version with Centennial, Cascade and Liberty and though not as pungent as the original, a very nice beer. I will be racking and dry hopping today with a blend of those three hops.

Cheers!

Tim

Hope you don't mind me posting this here Tim, but it turned out so great I just had to share.

I've made Tim's recipe a couple times and have refined it to this point to meet my tastes. I love the Falconer's Flight hops and they work perfectly in this recipe. The richness of the Munich Malt pair exceptionally well with the fruity/tropical/cherry notes of the FF hops.

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 15.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.0 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
11 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
10.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)

68.20 g Magnum [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 37.9 IBUs
56.70 g Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 7 25.5IBUs
56.70 g Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 m Hop 9 6.6 IBUs
56.70 g Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 0.0 m Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
3.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -
140.70 g Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 7. Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Our Mash w/ Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 26 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 35.13 qt of water at 165.2 F 154.0 F 60 min

Here is the PM version from earlier in the thread....worked well.

Pale DME 4.47lbs
Crystal 40L .75 lbs
Crystal 90L .5 lbs
Black malt 1 oz

Use the hops you have/can get. Play with the recipe. My version is a tweak from Mosher's recipe, and all of us here are doing something to "customize", be it hops, yeast, grain, fermentation temperature, etc.

I love Simcoe, but I have brewed this with all sorts of hops. Some brewers do not dig the Simcoe, ChillWill likes it better with Chinook.
Look through the thread to see all the variations people have tried to get inspired.

I was fortunate enough to get multiple pounds of 2011 Centennial, Cascade, Liberty and Willamette from local Willamette Valley hops farm for free (lucky to know the right guy). So, I just brewed a slightly lower gravity(1.060) and lower SRM(15.5) version with Centennial, Cascade and Liberty and though not as pungent as the original, a very nice beer. I will be racking and dry hopping today with a blend of those three hops.

Cheers!

Tim

Warrior, Amarillo, and Simcoe are the hops used in DFH 60 min IPA. I love the balance there and figured that'd be cool to try in a maltier beer.

Thanks for the help though. Looking into getting a bigger pot (my largest is only 5 gallons) so I can brew this ASAP.

Hey Chumpsteak, thanks for the recipe! No worries about posting it here:)
Looks great. As stated previously, I have gone to less crystal too. Looks like you and I are about in the same place with the basic grain bill.

Just wanted to update, I went all Centennial on this and it tastes good. I think next time I'll try the hops from the original recipe. I didn't dry hop, as I thought that the hops/malt balance was perfect as it was. What an interesting brew. This thing is a malty, full bodied, yet hoppy. Definitely the most complex beer I've made. So much going on, I find myself dissecting the flavors well after each sip.

Beautiful beer Tim, thanks for sharing!

On my penultimate bottle of this, brewed it start of September IIRC with simcoe & amarillo.

It's odd, I'm having my x-mas cigar and sipping on it and it's got the most wonderful strawberry aroma & flavour (the cigar is numbing the taste buds and calming down the simcoe hit I was getting from it that I wasn't overly keen on).

It's never been a bad beer, probably pretty good in fact, but now I can see a little past the simcoe I'm really enjoying it. I think if I changed the 25:75 simcoe:amarillo of the late additions and dry hop to more like 10:90 and dropped the IBU from 60 down to 40-50 this'd be perfect for my taste.

Im getting ready to brew this recipe. I see that it is a 90 minute boil, but there are no hop additions until 60 minutes. Is this correct? Should this just be a 60 minute boil? What would be the advantage of doing it as a 90?

Im getting ready to brew this recipe. I see that it is a 90 minute boil, but there are no hop additions until 60 minutes. Is this correct? Should this just be a 60 minute boil? What would be the advantage of doing it as a 90?

Funny you should bring this up, I was just talking about this with a friend.
I often do a 90 minute boil. He asked the same question. It helps drive off DMS that is found in some lighter kilned, undermodified base malts, and many "pros" recommend it. But for this beer, which uses highly modified malts it is probably not needed, and a waste of time and fuel.

So, boil for 60.

Glad you are trying this beer!

Cheers, Tim

Has anyone done a comparison brew of Mosher's Radical IRA vs. Jamil's "West Coast Blaster"?

Appears the main difference is Black Patent vs. Light Chocolate in your dark malts and a little difference in the hops.

I've made differing versions of the Radical IRA 4 times and love it but thinking of doing the West Coast Blaster this next brew. Any input would be welcome.

I have seen the JZ Westcoast Blaster Recipe, been interested in it,but have not brewed it. There is a significant difference in the base malts between the two beers. IRA is 40% munich, which is where I think a lot of the complexity comes from. That said, I am sure it is great, as all of Jamil's recipes I have tried are solid. I like that the WestCoast Blaster uses hops you can actually buy this year(cascade and centennial), as the Simcoe and Amarillo for the IRA are in very short supply right now. If you brew the WCB, please post results!

Here it is from BYO:
West Coast Blaster
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.067 (16.4°P)
FG = 1.015 (3.9 °P)
IBU = 66 SRM = 17 ABV = 6.9%

Ingredients

11.4 lb. (5.17 kg) Muntons pale ale malt (3°L)
(or Great Western British pale ale malt)
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Great Western crystal malt (40 °L)
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Durst Munich malt (8 °L)
0.5 lb. (227 g) Victory malt (28 °L)
0.5 lb. (227 g) Great Western crystal malt (120 °L)
2.5 oz. (71 g) pale chocolate malt (200 °L)
11.44 AAU Horizon hops (60 min.)
(0.88 oz./25 g at 13% alpha acids)
6 AAU Cascade hops (10 min.)
(1.0 oz./28 g 6% at alpha acids)
9 AAU Centennial hops (10 min.)
(1.0 oz./28 g 9% at alpha acids)
6 AAU Cascade hops (0 min.)
(1.0 oz./28 g 6% at alpha acids)
9 AAU Centennial hops (0 min.)
(1.0 oz./28 g 9% at alpha acids)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), White Labs WLP001
(California Ale) or Fermentis Safale US-05 yeast

Just tapped into 5 gallons of this, very balanced caramel/sweeter/hoptastic thing going on. Stuck to the original recipe. Got a 1.078 SG & 1.007 FG, 9.3%. Only difference was I had to use Belgium Munich malt but was told would not make any difference?? Thanks for the nice recipe!

Going to brew this tomorrow as my first partial mash. Heres the prospective recipe:

4.0 lb Munich 10L
1.0 lb Cara-red ?L
0.75 lb C40
0.50 lb C75
0.25 lb Midnight Wheat 550L

The plan is to mash @ 155* for 40' with 1.3 qts/lb(~2.25 Gal). Sparge with 170*F to fill 4-5 gal (BK is only 6 Gal).

5.0 lb Amber DME (LHBS was out of light). Adding at start of boil.

Planning on 60 min boil- Might do 90 if I end up with the time. Any suggestions on potention difference on 90 vs 60?

1.0 oz Citra (13.7 AA), 1/2 tsp @ 60'
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.9 AA) @ 30'
1.0 oz Cascade (9.1 AA) @ 5'

Thinking of adding some "unlabeled from last brew"[Cascade, Simcoe, or Nugget] hops at Flameout. Why not? I love hops!

Top to 5.0 - 5.5 gal, and chill to 75*(Ice bath), pitch yeast from first starter of Wyeast 1056.

Plan to ferment for ~10 days, then dry hop for 7 days with:

0.5 oz Citra (13.7 AA)
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.9 AA)
0.5 oz Cascade (9.1 AA)

1.075 OG
92.1 IBU
33.0 SRM
7.4% ABV Est.

Calculations using BrewR from Droid.

Sounds like a solid recipe!

Any comments/suggestions?

Cant wait to try it!

Glad this recipe has inspired your first partial mash brew!

I would not use the CaraRed at all. That puts your total crystal/cara malts at 2.25 lbs in a 5 gallon batch. WAY too sweet in my opinion. The IRA has been judged by about a dozen BJCP certified judges and the only consistent critique has been too much crystal/cara malts, and this is with the original recipe with 1.25 lbs. I have notched it down to 1 lb total, and it is better that way- earned 43 points last time.

The way you have the recipe, at 92 IBU, you are going to have a very different beer than the IRA recipe here, but may be great. 90 minutes and 60 minutes are not going to change much. At 90 min you will lose any Citra character at all, but keep the IBU's. If you use it at 60 min, there may be a very slight flavor of the hops remaining. I know from using Simcoe as a solo hop at 60 min in a blonde ale, that you can taste it...just barely in the finished beer.

I would not recommend mystery hops at the end of boil if one of the hops could be Nugget. I have grown Nugget for years, and try as I might to like that hop as an aroma hop, I cannot stand it. Very strong herbal notes that I think are distracting in most cases.

Here is what I would do, (if you have not already brewed!)

1. get rid of the carared, or use no more than 1.25 lbs crystal/cara malts total.
2. no mystery hops-if you can determine that you have Simcoe, use for dry hops.
3. Chill to 65f if you can
4. decrease the dark malt from 4 oz to 1 or 2 oz.

Now, of course this is homebrewing and you may have an amazing recipe there that flies in the face of all of my suggestions ;)

Cheers,

Tim

Just tapped into 5 gallons of this, very balanced caramel/sweeter/hoptastic thing going on. Stuck to the original recipe. Got a 1.078 SG & 1.007 FG, 9.3%. Only difference was I had to use Belgium Munich malt but was told would not make any difference?? Thanks for the nice recipe!

Wow, that is some high efficiency and super attenuation. Glad you liked it. It is cool that so many different O.G. and F.G. outcomes still make good beer.

Thanks tim. Unfortunately, the grains were purchased and ground yesterday, so no turning back at this point. Any thoughts on replacing some of the dme with sugar in order to dry out some of the sweetness? Going to brew this in an hour or so.

Well the issue with crystal malts is they are mostly unfermentable, so adding sugar would not really help directly, however you could replace 1.5 lbs of the DME with corn sugar to decrease the F.G. That might help.

A general rule of thumb is 10% or more crystal malts will make a really sweet beer. A lot of new all grain brewers go crazy with these malts (me included) only to learn the hard way less is more with specialty malts. If the beer is super sweet, you can re-brew it without any crystal and blend the two-something I have done to "fix" a less than stellar brew.

Good Luck, hope that helps!

anyone have ideas for an all extract version? just looking for some guidance on the extract, i'll keep everything else the same. thanks in advance.

anyone have ideas for an all extract version? just looking for some guidance on the extract, i'll keep everything else the same. thanks in advance.

Can you steep grains? If not you are going to have a hard time getting close to this beer. If you can steep grains, you will want to convert the base malts

6.5 lbs 2 Row= 5.28 lbs LME or 4.47 lbs DME- Use golden or light color
5 lbs Munich= 4.1 lbs LME or 3.45 lbs DME- Use Amber/Munich colored extracts

Steep all the specialty grains at about 155f for 30 minutes.

p.s. the partial mash version is on this thread if you decide to move that way

Hope that helps,
Cheers!
Tim

for your reference:

ALL-GRAIN TO EXTRACT
Amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .8125 = 6.5 lbs. liquid malt extract)
Amount of pale malt x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract (DME)
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .6875 = 5.5 lbs. dry malt extract)
Amount of wheat malt x .937 = amount of liquid wheat malt extract
(example: 6.5 lbs. wheat malt x .937 = 6.1 lbs. liquid malt extract)

Straycat,
I did an extract version of this recently and it came out great. I steeped the grains that were listed earlier and used munich malt extract. The breiss liquid that is sold at most of the homebrew shops is 50% munich and 50% two row. I also used a different hop schedule and hopped the crap out of it. Came out delicious

Wow, that is some high efficiency and super attenuation. Glad you liked it. It is cool that so many different O.G. and F.G. outcomes still make good beer.

Yea I know, Long fly sparge (1+ hr) and a big starter of washed WLP001, mashed in at 151°. Tested using a almost new hydrometer that I trust...

I have seen the JZ Westcoast Blaster Recipe, been interested in it,but have not brewed it. There is a significant difference in the base malts between the two beers. IRA is 40% munich, which is where I think a lot of the complexity comes from. That said, I am sure it is great, as all of Jamil's recipes I have tried are solid. I like that the WestCoast Blaster uses hops you can actually buy this year(cascade and centennial), as the Simcoe and Amarillo for the IRA are in very short supply right now. If you brew the WCB, please post results!

I brewed the west coast blaster on 2/16. I kegged and bottled on 3/11. The sample tasted quite nice. It didn't seem to have the same complexity as the IRA but seems like a cleaner style.

OG 1.076
FG 1.016
ABV 7.9%, which is a little high
IBU 61.6
SRM 16.7

I need to clean my keg lines so I can taste it cool and carbonated. I will update.

I think this is going to be my next brew.

I've got 3oz of Falconer's Flight/7-C's to use on this 5 gallon batch, let me know what you think of this hop schedule:

(Bitter w/ Warrior or Magnum)
1/2 oz 15 min
1/2 oz 10 min
1/2 oz 5 min
1/2 oz 1 min/flameout/whirlpool
1 oz dry hop

I was thinking either that or removing the 15 min addition and adding all the flavor/aroma during the last 10 minutes or so.
This seems like a "sturdy" grain bill that would take a lot to overpower w/ hops, so you can get aggressive with it :)

Looks great, though I would dry hop with 2 oz. Try to keep IBU below 80 to get the great balance that I love about this malt bill.

Good brewing,

Tim

I think this is going to be my next brew.

I've got 3oz of Falconer's Flight/7-C's to use on this 5 gallon batch, let me know what you think of this hop schedule:

(Bitter w/ Warrior or Magnum)
1/2 oz 15 min
1/2 oz 10 min
1/2 oz 5 min
1/2 oz 1 min/flameout/whirlpool
1 oz dry hop

I was thinking either that or removing the 15 min addition and adding all the flavor/aroma during the last 10 minutes or so.
This seems like a "sturdy" grain bill that would take a lot to overpower w/ hops, so you can get aggressive with it :)

Here is my next attempt at the IRA. I will be using half of the Simcoe as a first wort hop. This is an 11 gallon batch to yield 10 gallons (after about 1 gallon worth of hop absorption). I have done FWH before with IPAs and APAs and I have loved the hop flavor from the bittering hops. Hoping to pull that lovely Simcoe flavor through and still optimize the smooth bittering properties. I also moved the Amarillo up to 20 minutes,from 30 min,and increased the amount for a bit more flavor and aroma while maintaining 70 iBU. Finally, I am splitting the batch: 5 gal with American Ale yeast, and 5 gal with British Ale yeast. Will post results!

IRA
Author: Tim
Date: 3/19/12

Size: 11 gal
Efficiency: 82.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 209.32 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.064
Terminal Gravity: 1.016
Color: 17 SRM
Alcohol: 6.3%
Bitterness: 70 IBU

Ingredients:
13.0 lb Premium 2-Row Malt (Great Western)
10 lb Munich 10L Malt (Breiss)
1.0 lb Crystal Malt 90 L (Breiss)
1.0 lb Crystal 40 L (Great Western)
0.125 lb Black Malt (Bairds)

All Hops are whole hops.
1.0 oz Simcoe® (11.9%) - added first wort, boiled 90 min
1.0 oz Simcoe® (11.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
2.75 oz Amarillo® (8.9%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
2.0 oz Cascade (9.1%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1.0 oz Cascade (9.1%) - added dry to primary fermenter
2.0 oz Amarillo® (8.9%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0 oz Simcoe® (11.9%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale/Safeale-05 at 64f
1 ea WYeast 1098 British Ale™/Safeale-04 at 64f

I just recently started brewing in a bag. I was going to go the all-grain approach with this one and was wondering how long i needed to mash for? I also plan on trying to figure out my efficiency with this batch, too. Pretty excited about it

Back