Star San/Is it the Bubbles or the Liquid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, which is it? The Buubles or the liquid that does the Sanitization? Cause whenever I use the stuff I fill my Glass Carboys up to the rim with the Bubbles. The liquid only goes about 75% of the way up in lieu of all the Bubbles.

Both, but the foam gets to difficult places. You only need to put about 2 quarts of solution in a carboy, then put a stopper in the neck and pick it up and rotate it around to make sure starsan touches all the surfaces. Then pour the solution back in the bucket and then dip the mouth and neck in the solution and then set it back on the counter. 1 minute later you are ready to rack into it.

What I usually do is Fill the Carboy up with the bubbles up to the neck. I then let it sit for about an hour. I give it a good shake, another 5 minutes, then dump the Star San and I rack on top of the Bubbles.

RLinNH said:
What I usually do is Fill the Carboy up with the bubbles up to the neck. I then let it sit for about an hour. I give it a good shake, another 5 minutes, then dump the Star San and I rack on top of the Bubbles.
An hour is way not needed. I only give it as long as it takes to syphon in about a gallon, swirl it all around and pour it out. In two years now, I've never had an infection. (I'm very much knocking on wood here! :D )
Also, I tend to handle it gently as to avoid getting too much foam.

The answer is 'yes'.

The solution is the sanitizer, but the foam has the exact same sanitizing properties.

30 seconds wet contact is all that's needed. so, shake carboy a few times over 5 mins and you're set. the EPA makes them state 2 minutes contact, but if you listen to the podcast with the inventor, he gives the hard science on how quickly it actually works.

I keep star san in a spray bottle as well for stuff like my thief and auto-siphon tube...anything oddly sized, and just spray into my spare bucket.

I keep a bucket full and just rotate it around as I need to use it. I finally dump it when it starts to look a little beer colored. I tend to panic when sucking my turkey baster:confused:

How long can you keep it in a bucket? Wouldn't the Star San eat away at the bucket over an extended period since it is an acid? I thought Star San couldn't be in extended contact with plastics or metal.

EdWort said:
set it back on the counter. 1 minute later you are ready to rack into it.

so you dont have to allow the sanitizer to dry completely before coming into contact w cooled wort or beer? will be bottling my first batch soon and was wondering how long i need to wait after sanitizing the bottles before i can actually bottle into it. i asked a friend..his response,"star san, rinse, dry completely, and then bottle." this doesnt sound right to me..little advice please:drunk:

No, it can be wet, just needs 30 sec (or 2 mins if you are the EPA) of contact time. After it is diluted with beer its pH rises and it looses its ability to kill. At that point the constitutes of the star san can be used by they yeast.

Beerrific said:
No, it can be wet, just needs 30 sec (or 2 mins if you are the EPA) of contact time. After it is diluted with beer its pH rises and it looses its ability to kill. At that point the constitutes of the star san can be used by they yeast.

TY for the quick response. i literally went and tracked a cpl packages from midwest, and came right back. yeah, the sanitize, rinse, dry didnt sound right. and letting dry out completely just sounded too long to have to wait plus a better chance that some sort of contaminant could present itself.

If you want to hear where I get that from look up the interviews with Charlie Talley, inventor of Star San, on BasciBrewing Radio or The BrewingNetwork. He even tells commercial breweries to let it soak and then assemble (talking about valves, etc.) wet. You can make the analogy to home brewing set-ups.

I use Star San.
I usually fill a bucket with 2.5 gal of water and star san mix and then fill my carboy with that. I then swirl it around in there and give it a good shake and then pour it back in the bucket. I'm now done with the carboy and I put it upside down on a sanitized carboy stand thingy after sponging (with sanitizer) the mouth and surrounding area. As far as anything else coming in contact with the beer, after sanitizing I lay it out on sanitized aluminum foil or I just leave it in the bucket.
I usually give it another "dip" in the solution before using it if I had it laying out. If I am using something that is clean I just dip it in the solution and don't worry about time. It's wet with sanitizer and by the time I use it 30 secs to a minute have passed and although it isn't soaking in the bucket it is still covered with sanitizer so IMO is good to go.

For example if i had to change a stopper or an airlock i would dip it in the bucket and then walk to the carboy hold the air lock for a few seconds and then insert.

Back