Cigar City - Jai Alai

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasherb

Reaction score
Pronounced 'Hi-Lie.'

My new favorite IPA. I'm perplexed by the hop profile. Anyone have insight into what is used on this bad boy?

As an avid Cigar City fan in FL, I'm glad you like it. Now, as far as the clone recipes I've seen, it's a mix of Ahtanum, Amarillo, Columbus, Cascade, Centennial, and dry hop with Simcoe. Not sure if it's accurate, but you can always try emailing Cigar City and see what they say. Wayne(the brewmaster) is an insanely good brewer and might just let you know what's in it. Who knows.

Thanks. I'll give emailing them a shot.
It's not all citrus/tropical fruit. I get other herby/spicy notes that are really nice.

The brewer's email is not on the site, but using wayne at cigar city brewing did not bounce back...

Wow. Quick reply from Wayne. This is one killer hop schedule and one amazing beer:

FWH -
Ahtanum
Columbus

Bittering -
Columbus
Ahtanum
Amarillo

Flavor -
Columbus
Centennial
Cascade

Aroma -
Amarillo
Cascade
Ahtanum

Dry -
Simcoe

Ahh, so those clones were pretty well spot on. That's killer good. Very balanced, and just teasing you with the dry hopped Simcoe. Thanks for sharing.

It's great. So interesting though, I barely get any hops aroma on this beer at all for all of the dry hopping and late additions. It's almost brown-beer-ish in it's non-hop aroma.

Wayne Wambles is the man. You can hear him and Joey Redner (owner) on an old podcast at Basic Brewing Radio.

He's very accessible. Ask for him at the brewery. He hangs out all over town, too, at the brew clubs and local craft beer places.

I saw him last week and he gave me some spanish cedar spirals to replicate their Jai Alai Humidor Series. If you haven't had this, it will knock your socks off. I'm not being colorful: your socks will fall off, and possibly burst into flames.

More info here on the beer:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/jai-alai-cedar-aged-ipa-178837/

Lucky dog, getting the spanish cedar from him. The Humidor is intensely awesome and one of their best beers, imho. Yessir.

I couldn't let he no hop aroma comment go unchecked. That must not have been jai alai or an extremely old bottle. The aroma and hop flavor is premium. Simply one of the best smelling iPa's I have ever smelled. I buy it regularly and make sure the bottling dates are recent.

Big fan of this beer and ccb. Just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had figured out how to apply that hop schedule to a 5 or 10 gallon batch. Cheers.

Little help please. I vacationed this past summer at Anna Maria island. Came across Jai Alai and have only tasted one beer in my life so wonderful. Can someone direct me to a website that has Cigar City clones please? I am new to home brew and would appreciate any help. Thank you and enjoy the day.

Back