water bottle as secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
Ok, Im sure its been posted, but can I use a grocery store water bottle as a secondary? they look a lot like better bottles, and more convienent to pick up.
I searched, but found nothing...
Norm

The number your looking for on the bottom of the bottle in the triangle is 1 PETE. I scored 2 of them last month from the Alpine Valley water guy for $7 each. Anything above 2 PETE you don't want due to Oxygen transmissibility problems. Good luck!:) RR

Here's my $0.02

Try as you might I don't think you'll find anyone saying they used plastic bottle number X,Y or Z and it screwed their beer up. There are too many other factors that can contribute to bad beer. Even if they say it was the bottle I would suspect other factors such as the cleanliness, hot side aeration,ect.

There's lots of advise not to use this, that or the other, but little if any of it is from personnal experience. It's mostly all hearsay, to me that is a big red flag. Personnal experience is one thing personnal opinion is quite another.

For long term storage as a secondary I don't think you can beat a corny keg. Pretty much everything else has a down side of one form or another. IMHO use whatever you can afford and upgrade as your budget allows. Then you pass your old equipment on to others that are interested in the hobby.

I haven't really seen a case where anyone's really TESTED these water bottles for real, such as a side-by-side comparison with a different type of fermenter with a split batch.

Personally, I chose to ignore the warnings because I didn't see any real evidence based on personal experience, only a few references to some oxygen permeability figures for different plastics that really didn't mean much to me without knowing how permeable it would have to be before it really starts affecting your beer. I've been using a regular blue plastic 5 gallon water jug as a secondary carboy for a while now, and I don't feel that any of the beers that have been in it have suffered. That's not to say that I think the people giving the warnings are wrong, and I'm not entirely convinced that these bottles are a great choice for fermenting, I just haven't yet seen any problems with them based on my own use.

I would still use something else if I was planning to age something for longer though - I may not be too paranoid with batches that ferment for a few weeks, but I wouldn't want to push my luck as much on a batch that I patiently waited a few months for.

evandude said:
I haven't really seen a case where anyone's really TESTED these water bottles for real, such as a side-by-side comparison with a different type of fermenter with a split batch.

Personally, I chose to ignore the warnings because I didn't see any real evidence based on personal experience, only a few references to some oxygen permeability figures for different plastics that really didn't mean much to me without knowing how permeable it would have to be before it really starts affecting your beer. I've been using a regular blue plastic 5 gallon water jug as a secondary carboy for a while now, and I don't feel that any of the beers that have been in it have suffered. That's not to say that I think the people giving the warnings are wrong, and I'm not entirely convinced that these bottles are a great choice for fermenting, I just haven't yet seen any problems with them based on my own use.

I would still use something else if I was planning to age something for longer though - I may not be too paranoid with batches that ferment for a few weeks, but I wouldn't want to push my luck as much on a batch that I patiently waited a few months for.

IMHO that's right on the money the only thing I could add would be for long term storage without a corny move it to bottles after a week in the secondary.

abracadabra said:
There's lots of advise not to use this, that or the other, but little if any of it is from personnal experience. It's mostly all hearsay, to me that is a big red flag. Personnal experience is one thing personnal opinion is quite another.
I see what you're going for, but I am going to counterpoint with a somewhat over-the-top example.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14423

None of us but {allegedly} pshavet have used this sanitation method, but I'm
going to err on the side of my own personal opinion on this practice over any test.

abracadabra said:
For long term storage as a secondary I don't think you can beat a corny keg. Pretty much everything else has a down side of one form or another. IMHO use whatever you can afford and upgrade as your budget allows. Then you pass your old equipment on to others that are interested in the hobby

:rockin:

Back