To Munton or not to Munton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthorn9435

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a new kit on the way and this will be my first brew
ever. I am excited and have been doing loads of research. The one
thing I am concerned about is the Munton's Yeast that comes with
my kit. I ordered the Everything Kit from Midwest. The beer I chose
is the Autumn Amber Ale. Do I need to order another type of yeast or will
this be fine for my first homebrew?

Nothing wrong with it -although some would say you could do better- and since the kit is on the way, why not use it and find out how you like it? Next time, try one of Midwest's recommended Wyeast upgrades, which you can do when you order the kit.

Since you bought the kit from a high turnover vendor, there's nom worry with the yeast. It's not like you bought the kit from a love volume store where it could have sat on a shelf in a hot store in direct sunlight for god knows how long. If it were bought from Dick's liquor and bait store in podunk, where there may be 5 brewers in the whole town and 3 of them order online, then you might be warranted in having some concerns.

Thanks Revvy!

I have to say I have been reading a lot of your posts lately. Based on some of the discussions I have decided to do the primary fermintation only.

I do have one more question. In my apartment I keep the temp around 68-70 year round. Do I still need to place the primary in a tub and drape a shirt around it as a wick. I have read so much regarding temps I am confused. I am brewing the Autumn Amber Ale from Midwest. What is your recommendation for this.

The ambient air temperature will be fine to ferment your beer, this is what I have done for all my brews with temps at 68 and for ales it turns out fine as long as you can cool the wort to 68-70 before pitching, especially with the autumn amber. If I want it cooler I keep it in the basement with the swamp cooler. RDWHAHB

Back