Cherry Wheatish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckinball9

Reaction score
I wanted to do an extract batch of a cherry wheat, but i have a ton of Light LME and no Wheat LME so I'm trying to come up with something that could pass as cherry wheat to my non expert friends. (in the sense that it would be cloudy, semi-sweet etc)
how do you think this would be:

6.5 lbs light LME
1 lb wheat malt (steeped, not mashed)
.5 lb 80l crystal malt
.5 oz galena 60 min
.5 oz willamette 20 min
safale US-05

rack onto a few jars of cherries (3-4 lbs) in secondary after 3 weeks.

suggestions? for hops on hand I have Galena, Willamette, and Cascade

Don't know if there is an easy answer. If you're having to purchase the cherries I know 3-4lbs is not going to be cheap so why not just go all the way.

The cloudiness is from suspended yeast so you need to change from US 05. Your wheat malt really needs to be mashed. If your trying to cloud it up with starches from the wheat malt, not really the way to go about it.

That's just couple things I see.

You'd basically be putting flour in your beer, it's not going to be a postive addition. It will also make it more proned to housing micro organisms.

If you have some darker malts to throw in you could go for a cherry porter or stout using what you have already mentioned. To stick with a cherry wheat I'd be telling you to change too many things and don't think that 's what you had in mind.

yeah that doesnt sound good. Instead maybe I'll just use a recipe for a #9 clone i have and substitute cherries for apricot extract etc.

good advice; I dont want flour in my beer. thanks

Latest posts

Back