I want a Kick in the Mouth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlw08

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post. Been lurking awhile. On my sixth batch ever, and I've found myself craving something Russian Imperial Stout-esque which will make me shiver to think about.

I've reviewed many previous postings and it seems everyone wants to balance "bitterness" flavors with maltiness & alcohol content. But my question is this: What if I don't?

What if I want a kick in the mouth! High alcohol, high bitterness (not just IBUs); a true RIS for a session brew - but still drinkable.

Again, I'm all about searching the forums for topics related to the subject, but I don't feel that this has been properly addressed. What type of grains / hops would you use to achieve this type of brew (partial mash style, not all-grain)?

Thanks for any thoughts :mug:

Don't confuse balance with lack of flavour.

Hold on, RIS for a session brew?

Now I'm confused.....Sounds to me like you would like something high in chocolate malt.

Ignore the part about session brew. I didn't know what I was talking about.

And I'm still talking flavor. I'm just talking about tipping the balance in favor of high bitterness to achieve a kick-in-the-mouth-shiver-down-my-spine delight.

And I'm still talking flavor. I'm just talking about tipping the balance in favor of high bitterness to achieve a kick-in-the-mouth-shiver-down-my-spine delight.

Ah, ok. I was looking at the session beer aspect, and thinking that you could get a session beer that kicked you in the mouth like an RIS simply by over-using a chocolate malt in an otherwise tame ale. But then you said you wanted high ABV too.

If staying in style is not an issue, I would look at an IPA with Choc malt to meet what I imagine your tastes are. That's the good thing about homebrew, you get to do what you want. :)

The question remains then, on recommendations for hops/grains appropriate for the end cause. Any ideas?

So you want an huge IPA?
RIS is a Huge Stout....Malty richness with a alcohol Burn. But you could make it hoppy too. But if you don't want malty, I'd say you want a big ..perhaps, IIPA?

Bitterness in an RIS comes from two places - the big portions of roasted malt in the grist (cocoa, unsweetened chocolate, black coffee, etc) and the hop bitterness.

Which are you after?

I agree that a black IPA is probably what you are looking for. There is a thread here that you may find interesting.

That's a great start! Somewhat of the right idea.

So you want an huge IPA?
RIS is a Huge Stout....Malty richness with a alcohol Burn. But you could make it hoppy too. But if you don't want malty, I'd say you want a big ..perhaps, IIPA?

But I do want some richness, and some complexity. As stated above, I'm talking about tipping the balance towards a very-high bitterness, whilst still retaining some subdued flavors in a RIS-style ale.

I also don't want to go bankrupt on purchasing 15+ varieties of hops in 1/4oz packages. ;)

Bitterness in an RIS comes from two places - the big portions of roasted malt in the grist (cocoa, unsweetened chocolate, black coffee, etc) and the hop bitterness.

Which are you after?

Advice on a blend of both, or either. Obviously this is experimental, it's not a BJCP defined category or anything like that.

Just a discussion on possible ingredients :)

Maybe you want to double an American Stout or Americanize a RIS? The American Stout wouldn't be hugely malty or fruity like a RIS but would have the hop bite it sounds like you are looking for with a nice chocolate malt profile.

Back