Desert Cardinal mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In honor of the Cardinal's blowing the Super Bowl, I'm gonna make a nice simple mead that will be nice next Super Bowl (and the Card's won't be in that one :mad:)

3 lbs. wild Arizona desert honey
0.5 tsp. yeast nutrient
0.5 tsp. yeast energizer
D-47 yeast
enough water for 1 gallon

Meh, be proud of your team. They made a good run at it, frankly I thought they had it won when they pulled ahead late. At least it wasn't like one of those old 49'ers-Broncos Super Bowls.

Wow, surprised about the attitude towards the Cards. I thought they earned alot of respect this post season. They played a great game and never gave up despite being down against a great defense. Fans of 30 other teams would gladly trade places with you. It may be tough for them to return due to the number of free agents they have but I think they will still be a good team next year and you never can tell how things will go in the NFL. Coach Whiz and Grimm were good choices to turn that organization in to a winning one.

And your mead looks nice an simple. Usually the best kind.

Craig

Wow, surprised about the attitude towards the Cards. I thought they earned alot of respect this post season. They played a great game and never gave up despite being down against a great defense. Fans of 30 other teams would gladly trade places with you. It may be tough for them to return due to the number of free agents they have but I think they will still be a good team next year and you never can tell how things will go in the NFL. Coach Whiz and Grimm were good choices to turn that organization in to a winning one.

And your mead looks nice an simple. Usually the best kind.

Craig

Well, the team was in a similar position in 1998. A winning record, a playoff victory, and high hopes for the next year. Then they got rid of Larry Centers and Lomas Brown and others in the off season 'cuz Bidwill is cheap. Let's hope things have changed with the new stadium and new revenue stream. But I was impressed with how the Cards fought back. The "same ol' Cards" would've rolled over and died after that 100 INT TD.

I will have to agree here too. This was probably one of the best SuperBowl matchups I've seen in a long time. Each team played hard, made some mistakes, but kept on giving.

The cardinals have nothing to be sorry about. They looked good all night, and I actually thought they might win it with 2 minutes to go.

Dan

So I'm changing this from Desert Cardinal Mead to Snowday Mead because I finally made it on Tuesday when we had 2+ feet of snow in Pinetop.

And as I type I hear the airlock popping every 3-4 seconds. such a beautiful sound!

Wow, this thing cleared faster than I thought it would -- I'm assuming I should rack it off the lees, let it clear up again, then either bulk age or bottle? I really should take a pic, this has cleared really nice

So I racked this tonight and horrible results! I used a mini-racking cane, and I had tons of bubbles throughout the whole rack -- I'm hoping it was just CO2 de-gassing, otherwise this is gonna be one oxidized mead when it's drunk in 6+ months.

The good news is the SG dropped from 1.135 to 1.026, so I think it's pretty much done fermenting....time for some bulk aging, but in the mean time....

Help! Any advice for using short racking canes to rack 1-gallon batches?

I use a regular racking cane for the 1 gallon carboys. I dunno :) I do need to get a new auto siphon though, but I hear you do need to get the smaller version for the 1 gal carboys.

That wasn't what I wanted to hear! :D

I've had bubbles in the past with beer right at the junction of the cane and the hose - but these bubbles were going all through the hose and into the secondary....

You've had success racking with a full size cane from a 1-gallon jug to another? damn LHBS in Colorado Springs ripped me off!

It can be tricky, but I've got my habits down on it.

again, not what I wanted to hear! :D

Are the huge amounts of bubbles I saw bad?? Well, I guess it doesn't matter - it's resting in the secondary and won't be bottled for a few months....

Seriously - I need some advice; my short auto-siphon produced a ton of bubbles during racking, and I'm wondering if it was CO2 or O2.

Unless you have a leak in the rubber gasket between tubes in the siphon, you were seeing CO2.

again, not what I wanted to hear! :D

Are the huge amounts of bubbles I saw bad?? Well, I guess it doesn't matter - it's resting in the secondary and won't be bottled for a few months....

If the bubbles you saw during racking stayed put then there is nothing to worry about, they just watched your wonderful mead pass by and did not dissolve into solution. RDWHAHB!

Back