Experimental Hops!! FHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
We have 4 new experimental hops in stock from S.S. Steiner:

EXP 1210

Current AA__6.4%

Beta 5-5.5%

CoH 32%

Total Oil 1.40 Ml/100g

Experimental variety from Hop Steiner. Blackberry, "Super Cascade", Grapefruit, Orange, "Amarillo Like", Lemon and Pine are descriptors used to describe this new hops . Bred from Cascade and USDA 19058

EXP 4190

Current AA__3.6%

Beta 5-6.5%

CoH 30-32%

Total Oil 1 - 1.5 Ml/100g

Experimental variety from Hop Steiner. Pleasant, mild citrus aroma. Bred from Fuggles and Cascade

EXP 5256

Current AA__17.0%more info...

Beta: 5-6%

CoH 27%

Total Oil 3.1 Ml/100g

Experimental variety from Hop Steiner. Bred form Apollo and Merkur. Light Grapefruit, Citrus, Pine, and Mint notes. Also has dark fruit and Strong herbal notes. Some say Simcoe and Summit like.

EXP 6300

Current AA__14.6%

Beta 5-6.0%

CoH 49%

Total Oil 1.40 Ml/100g

Dill / Lemon, Jolly Rancher, Passion fruit, Cocoa, Coconut, Peach, Stone Fruit and Vanilla are descriptors of this new hop from Steiner. Bred fro Galen, Eastern Gold, 98005

I just ordered some 1210 and 6300! Can't wait to try them in a pale ale... Anyone have any recipes recommendations that really highlight the flavor and aroma of a single hop?

I do all my single hopped beers to 40 IBU with ~75% coming with the 60n min addition. Then I add .5oz at 15, 10, 5 and 0 min. Then dryhop with 1oz

Base recipe

8lb 2-row
2lb Vienna
.5 lb C-40

Mash @ 150-152

Are the experimental rhizomes on sale too? I Hope u can get them.

Edit: Ok, let me rephrase it. Since most experimental hops are never made into production due to the hop not commercially profitable, are those hop rhizomes going to be on sale by chance?

I figured this question wouldn't hurt to be asked since vegetable seeds and fruit plants are also sold like this too. I figure home gardeners might enjoy having an unique hop plant in the backyard while the people responsible making this type of noncommercial hop plant can make a little profit from selling it too. :)

Crito said:
Are the experimental rhizomes on sale too? I Hope u can get them.

Absolutely not. Any hop breeder, including myself, would not let a valuable new variety go to rhizome. Any hop farmer could grow the variety you spent tens of thousands of dollars developing, without you getting a cent. . If the industry likes the new hop, Hop Steiner, a private company, will patent it for 25 years, like Simcoe or Amarillo. Maybe in 30 years, maybe you can get a rhizome... Probably more like 40 or 50

The only hops available for homebrewers are old varieties or developed by the USDA breeders at Corvallis. Pretty bad choices besides Centennial, which I believe was a private variety that had its patent expire.

.....The only hops available for homebrewers are old varieties or developed by the USDA breeders at Corvallis. Pretty bad choices besides Centennial, which I believe was a private variety that had its patent expire.

Chinook, Cascade, Williamette, Columbus, etc. are "bad choices" for hops? :confused: You can buy those rhizomes.
Or do you mean the rhizomes themselves are inferior quality, or they are older/outdated "lines" compared to what the hop farms use now?

DustBow said:
Chinook, Cascade, Williamette, Columbus, etc. aare "bad choices" for hops? :confused: You can buy those rhizomes.
Or do you mean the rhizomes themselves are inferior quality, or they are older/outdated "lines" compared to what the hop farms use now?

Yes. From agronomics point of view, Centennial is disease prone, Williamette is a bad hop IMO, Chinook has low yield. Cascade was the start of an era of American hops, doesn't count. Columbus is the only dual purpose hop that's nice for homebrewers. Most public varieties have either poor aroma, bittering, Agronomics, etc compared to private varieties. Palisades matches any English hop in aroma and bitterness and yields nearly twice as much as anything public.

Brewing a batch of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde on Monday. I plan to use the exp 1210 to replace the cascade in the recipe. Hopefully it turns out good

I ordered 4oz of each of the exp's would love some input on what recipes other people are using them in. Just got them in the the mail today, it's like Christmas.

I ordered 4oz of each of the exp's would love some input on what recipes other people are using them in. Just got them in the the mail today, it's like Christmas.

I plan on brewing takes on the bee cave pale ale with the 1210 & 6300 varieties. Which is pretty close to what Steelers77 says he does for test batches.

Got my 4190 today, sort a best of both worlds combo of fuggles and cascade. Probably gonna use in a Spring American Wheat and a blond probably.

Any updates on how the recipes are going? I have a pound of 6300 and 1210. I plan on doing an IPA with 6300 and an APA with 1210 on Sunday. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions or tasting notes yet.

I have single hop small batches of 1210, 5256 and 6300 fermenting now. Will dry hop this week, should have tasting notes in a few weeks after they carb up.

I have a batch with 6300 cold crashing now, will keg by this weekend. Probably brew up a batch with the 1210 by this weekend if all things go well. I'll post my results as well.

I brewed a really simple session pale ale this weekend with the 1210. I'll post my result as well. It should be ready to keg by next weekend. I'll post my results then.

I just tasted my Beer i made with the 6300,1210 and i got Pine and Grass and Dill notes, I am bumed that i didn't get the Fruity notes like some have got!!!!! i added Late addtions with them .5oz 1210 @ 10 mins, .5oz 6300 @ 0 mins, and dry hopped with 1.8 oz of both for 5 days! Let me know what you guys got, hopefully you guys get fruity notes Let me know you're process!!! THANKS!

Well its fruity all right its got lots of pear, apple and watermelon.I used columbus for bitter and calypso and 6300 for flavor and all three for late additions.Then dry hopped with all three and added a little bit of apollo hop oil for some piney dankness with the fruit so far this one is a keeper...

if you don't mind me asking, what times did you add these? i added mine at 20 10 and 0, then dry hopped with 3 oz. i get just a BIT of fruit but not much. I wonder if you got the Apple and Pear from the Calypso?

if you don't mind me asking, what times did you add these? i added mine at 20 10 and 0, then dry hopped with 3 oz. i get just a BIT of fruit but not much. I wonder if you got the Apple and Pear from the Calypso?

Fwh 6300 18.4 ibu
60 Columbus 33.7 ibu
25 Calypso 22.8 ibu
10 6300 12.3 ibu
5 6300 6.8 ibu
0 6300 7.5 ibu
0 Calypso 6.8 ibu
0 Columbus 3.7 ibu
Dh 6300 2 oz
Dh Calypso 1.25 oz
Dh Columbus 1 oz
Dh Apollo pure oil .05 g

Ferment 65 degrees
Giga yeast gy001
1.060 to 1.010
:tank:

I just tasted my Beer i made with the 6300,1210 and i got Pine and Grass and Dill notes, I am bumed that i didn't get the Fruity notes like some have got!!!!! i added Late addtions with them .5oz 1210 @ 10 mins, .5oz 6300 @ 0 mins, and dry hopped with 1.8 oz of both for 5 days! Let me know what you guys got, hopefully you guys get fruity notes Let me know you're process!!! THANKS!
So your only flavor additions were a half oz. of 1210 @10 and a half oz. of 6300 @0? If so, that's not going to give you a whole lot of flavor.

I tried my beer brewed with 6300 this past monday, and although its not fully carbed i got a pretty good concept of the flavor. I'm getting way more of the grass/pine/dill flavors than the fruity flavors. I think maybe mixed with some cascade or maybe the 1210 it would be a great beer. I dont remember my quantities, but the additions were something like 60, 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry hopped with an oz for 7 days i think (almost no aroma on my beer at all, might have to bump it up to 2 oz next time).

I got the Same Notes, aroma smells awesome but NO FRUITY flavors, and yes .5 will give you flavors, on LATE additions, also dry hopped with 3 oz 1210 and 6300, still grassy notes

Steelers77 said:
I do all my single hopped beers to 40 IBU with ~75% coming with the 60n min addition. Then I add .5oz at 15, 10, 5 and 0 min. Then dryhop with 1oz

Base recipe

8lb 2-row
2lb Vienna
.5 lb C-40

Mash @ 150-152

Target OG? (Just got some 6300)

Ok, my single hop beers are carbonated and we tasted them last night.

Grist: 95% pale 2-row, 3% c-40, 2% carafoam. 2 gallon batch size - split into 4 boils, for four 1/2 gallon batches (fourth batch was calypso single hop). each boil separately hopped; hop schedule: ending IBUs: 70, only difference in hopping was 60 minute hop to arrive at 70 IBU. equal hopping done for all hops at 30, 15, 0 and dry hop. 0 minute and dry hop equivalent to 2 ounces at a 5 gallon batch size.

Tasting notes:

1210: Mild aroma, light citrus, light lemon. Can see how it is compared to Cascade in the official descriptors. Good flavor, favorite of 3/4 tasters
6300: Very unusual, quite sweet. Almost thought something was off with the batch initially, but after a few sips it settled down. can see how jolly rancher is in the official descriptor. Still not sure on this one, least favorite of all.
5256: My personal favorite, not overwhelming aroma, but more aroma than 1210. Light citrus, but a heavier flavor than 1210 (in a good way). Can see comparison to simcoe, although milder.

None of them "blew" me away, I think Mosaic and Calypso (most recent experimental to commercial varieties) bring more to the table, at least in a unique sense. However, I am going to use 5256 and 1210 again and see how they blend. 6300, dont know about that one....

Thanks for the write up Dan, we plan on doing our own experiments in the near future.

We have 1210 and 6300 back up on the site!

so you didn't get any grassy notes from the 1210 or the 6300? i wonder how come i got that in mine? well looks like I'll make a new batch and try it again! Thanks for the Write up!

Back