Edgestar Mini-regulator w/paintball CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdburkhart

Reaction score
Hey quick question,
I am working on converting a Krups Beertender to serve any type of mini-keg and the last element that stands in my way is the gas supply.

I want to use a 20oz paintball tank since, in the long run, it is much cheaper then the 16g cartridges the unit usually runs on. The problem I have run into is I am not sure what adapters I need. I picked up the adapter (http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shopping...er-%2d-Paintball-Tank-Regulator-Coupling.html) and while it fits on my tank like a charm, it is way to big for the regulator I have.

I picked up the Edgestar mini-keg conversion kit, and I believe they have updated it since I cannot find a picture of my regulator online. But the regulator has maybe a 1/4" female port. You can see the regulator and the 16g adapter on the lower left hand of the picture.

I swung by Lowes and really couldn't find anything to step down the threads on the adapter. The 5/8" coupling seemed the best fit, but it wasn't really tight.

I would love to use something that keeps the tank upright, and the regulator inline with the center of the tank (so it balances better). I figure if nothing exists I could pick up a refill adapter for the CO2 and have the regulator on the side and just watch it when I am running on air.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

P1020442.jpg

What did you end up doing for a mini co2 solution? I just converted my beertender with the edgestar kit, but am looking for a better co2 solution than what they provide.

Just a heads up, there are couple of 'adapters' out there, so pay attention based on your regulator. Edgestar has an 1/8"port on theirs...

Thanks, this is super helpful.

I was about to purchase the adapter when I realized Edgestar sent me a slightly different regulator than you - not sure on the size of the fitting, but considerably larger than 1/8". See my photos.

image-651841736.jpg

image-4159102712.jpg

Called EdgeStar customer support. Incredibly unhelpful, they don't know the thread size and are unwilling to find out. This is ironic since the PDF manual on their site says to ask for assistance if you want to install a bigger co2 tank.

I took the regulator to Lowes and the fitting is 1/2. From what I've read online, paintball tanks are 3/8 so I need to find a brass adapter online.

Called EdgeStar customer support. Incredibly unhelpful, they don't know the thread size and are unwilling to find out. This is ironic since the PDF manual on their site says to ask for assistance if you want to install a bigger co2 tank.

I took the regulator to Lowes and the fitting is 1/2. From what I've read online, paintball tanks are 3/8 so I need to find a brass adapter online.

Any one have any luck with this? My regulator is the same and I'm trying to use a bigger tank. TIA

I would recommend getting the adapter 2 since Lowe's/home depot seemed to have more fittings for that one...

I think I figured it out though haven't confirmed but will order soon. I think the standard "the adapter" will work; often seen for co2 setups on aquariums and homebrew applications. It mates the paintball tank to standard CGA 320 fitting. As far as I can tell, the edgestar regulator that I have is CGA 320 since I was able to attach to my 5lb tank as a test. So no additional adapters or fittings will be required.
I will report back if this works since this thread shows up on google searches.

I don't know what's going on.... I connect the adapter to the regulator, then connect to the tank but it leaks out this valve thing in the back. If I remove the gas line that runs to the keg, then it leaks out where the line connects to the regulator. Everything fits fine, but I can't get it to not leak out of one of those spots.

Make sure your o-ring on the tank is in place and not broken. It should sit right above the threads

Also, dumb question, is your tank upright?

Yeah, it's a new tank. It doesn't matter whether it's horizontal or vertical. It's like it's a blowoff valve or something on the back of the regulator. When I last used it with a 16gr cartridge, everything seemed fine; so I don't think it's a faulty regulator. As soon as I screw in the tank and the pin is engaged, the regulator leaks (a lot) out of the valve in the back.

The little brass thing is a blow-off safety device. Any paintball store can fix it for you.

Just so you guys know, the female paintball part that screws onto a PB tank is called an ASA (air source adapter). It has a pin in the middle that presses on the needle valve in the PB tank.
If you got the wrong part, I'd send it back and get the right one... you won't be able to simply adapt a brass fitting onto a PB tank.
BTW, an ASA from a PB store is incredibly inexpensive, and are usually always fitted with a 1/8" NPT out.
A guy could use a PB Co2 tank, an ASA, and a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" NPT (or whatever your reg is) adapter to use any Co2 reg that has a screw-in input. The Harbor freight regs have 1/4" NPT screw-in inputs.

I wonder if your gas line is blocked or kinked.

Since its the safety on the regulator, you might want to just check your gas line. Take it all the way off, see if you can blow into it, see if you can run gas through it with it not connected to the tap/dip tube...

It's really weird. If I remove the line, it just blows out the elbow where the line would be. It's like there is too much pressure or something is being tripped and gas is venting through the least restrictive route. I will try with a 16g cartridge again to see if the same thing happens, but I really don't see how there could be a difference how it reacts to a 20oz vs 16g.

I assume the regulator is toast, I tried with a 16gr cartridge and it blew out the blowoff the second i pierce it.
I contacted edgestar and they are kindly sending a replacement.
I'm hoping that it wasn't something with installing a 20oz tank that messed up the Reg. I don't see how it could, since I assume it's not like it lets out more pressure than a 16gr when installed. I believe you have a 20oz tank without any issues.

Yup, that is what I have. I thought edgestar made reference to using larger tanks, so I would try and return it.

They sent the replacement and it has the smaller port like the original post. So now the adapter I have won't work, nor will the edgestar CO2 holder fit since its for my wider port regulator. Blah!!!! Now I have to go with the original design and get the adapter II and reducer.
I even have an extra regulator that I could use but I'd have to figure out how to reduce the gas line so it's small enough to fit the tap kit.

Before you order a new part, swing by a hardware store and see if you can size it down.

Luckily the gas line is 1/4", so those adapters are fairly easy to come by.

This looks like the one that I have but when I hook up my co2, all the gas escapes from the little black screw on the back. That screw looks like it's missing something. I called edge star and no help. Can you attach a photo of what your black screw looks like and if you had the same problem? Thanks

Back