Secondary too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

java230

Reaction score
brewed a NB cream ale, went nuts for 3 days, after it settled down a bit i racked it to a seconday carboy (on the 4th day). It bubbled a little after this but not much. im at 1.010, a little higher than i was hoping, and its been 2 weeks since brew. I have some little bubble piles on top it, so im thinking it may still be going a little but they dont seem to be moving or changing size or shape, and the irlock isnt moving for as long as i care to sit there and stare at it, and hydrometer is seeming to besteady.

Did i go to secondary too soon? Should i wait another week or two to keg it to see if its still fermenting a little? i want to drink it now.....

If your hydro readings are steady a couple days apart, then it's done fermenting.
Airlock activity is not an indication of completion of fermentation.

On to the main question, I feel that more time in the primary would have been better, and that secondary wasn't really needed for that brew.
Not to worry though, have patience and it will turn out just fine.

If your hydro readings are steady a couple days apart, then it's done fermenting.
Airlock activity is not an indication of completion of fermentation.

On to the main question, I feel that more time in the primary would have been better, and that secondary wasn't really needed for that brew.
Not to worry though, have patience and it will turn out just fine.

Well I never have moved it that early at least a week usually two (if I move it at all... but IFMracin in correct.... if the gravity reading look good go for it...

BUT for any beer I makle that will be kegged with-in 4 weeks I don't bother moving it at all... to much work and with me POSSIBLE SCREW UP.

For beers I want to age they do it in the keg and I pull off any yeast that drops out after the intial four weeks with the first few beers...

Again as IFMracin stated you should be fine... worst thing that could really happen is that you get more than expected yeast falling out in the secondary...

yeah its the first time I'd done a secondary, It was just crazy gunky in the primary so I went for it. I think it may have slowed the fermentation down in the move. Live and learn j guess! So I'm itching to try it, anyone with experience with the NB cream ale suggest letting it age a bit more? I can always let it sit on the keg if I have too.

You should never transfer to secondary before FG is reached. What you did was transfer when initial fermentation was done. It then slowly crept down to FG in secondary after you racked it.
Next time just leave it alone in primary for a few weeks till it settles out clear. Paitence will be rewarded in this hobby.

If it's been at 1.010 for almost two weeks, it's done. The amount of yeast is reduced dramatically by racking, but done is done. Since you are kegging, I'd transfer it and use priming sugar. Give it a week at room temperature and it should be good to go.

Out of curiosity, what are the effects of racking to secondary before primary fermentation is complete?

Out of curiosity, what are the effects of racking to secondary before primary fermentation is complete?

Stalled fermentation, inadequate diacetyl removal, and more trub in the clearing vessel.

I don't usually use a clearing vessel ("secondary") for most ales. But if I do, I wait until at least 3 days after FG is reached for the yeast to reduce the byproducts it created during fermentation.

well just to check back, kegged it and its pretty tasty! A little sweet but to be expected with a bit less fermentation. Wife said it was good and she doesn't like beer.

Latest posts

Back